The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's your favorite discontinued shaving soap or cream?

Spearhead Shaving Co - this is when they were in they’re developmental stage, so they would sell soaps for less than $10. he was getting his base right, and then his scents were simple but in my opinion absolutely fantastic. This Bergamont and sandalwood is my favorite. We all won out in the end because the result was the release the Seaforth line. But it is my hope that someday they’ll return to some of these basic scents. but I think Seaforth, the old company, had two other scents in the repertoire besides the 3 that have been released by Spearhead- If I were a betting man, spearhead will release those bay rum and leather scents first.

1635177231352.png

REPLACED BY:

1635177280351.png
This Dr Jon’s soap is close but maybe a little sweeter, replacing the Bergamot with mandarin orange. I also have a Black Ship Grooming AS - Ghost Ship that is similar- replacing the bergamot with grapefruit and adding amber along with the sandalwood

1635177733226.png
What a glorious time we live in!

My favorite discontinued shaving soap is Through The Fire Fine Craft ‘Cuda. Blackberry, Coriander, Orange; Sage, Thyme; Mahogany, Oakmoss and Musk. It was woody, old timey, dark berries kinda smell. I have one tub left that gets used on special occasions. I’d pay quite a few dollars for somebody to reverse engineer it.

21b2bf34c83a16ec1f50829ba9584549.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint Charles Shave - Fairway. An absolutely magical scent, and a formula unlike any other. CBL has come close with the scent, but it’s still not the original. SCS’s Refined and New Spice were also amazing and unreplaceable.

While I have a stash of about 5 tubs. I already miss that CBL Tonrorial soap is no longer around.

I shaved with the Insurgint last night and the way the lather feels on my my face when brushing it on, is my favorite. I know I'm going to be in for an enjoyable shave.

I always liked Obsession cologne and have been using it since the late 80's. So, I hope after my 2 tubs of Insurgint are gone. CBL will make another batch of soap with this scent.

It's one of my favorite shaving soap scents that I have.

Far too many great soaps are no longer in production or are hard to aquire. Here are a few that come to mind:

Soap smooth- fantastic artisan that also made the Paladin brand soaps as well as other rebranding which shows to the quality since they were chosen.

Gustafsons- the 1st formula was garbage, but the 2nd soap base made by Square One Soapworks is fantastic but scent options are limited if at all.

Ballenclaugh- another artisan like B&M and Southen Witchcrafts when it comes to very unique scents. Fantastic performance to match.

I Coloniali is another sadly missed soap, nothing else quite like it.

For discontinued creams, I would go with Noxzema Lather Shave. When I started this hobby, it had already been discontinued, but a guy offered a NOS tube for sale and I bought it. It was fabulous. I will also include the entire line of Coates' creams, with the Tea Tree in particular being both a great performer and an utterly unique scent. Yes, I know you may still be able to nab some of those tiny travel tubes that the dude found in a warehouse, but it's not the same.

For discontinued soaps, hmmm, where to start? I miss the Saint Charles Shave soaps. I used them up quickly, but miss the unique scents, especially Refined. I have a couple of tins of Fairway, but will miss that one too when they're done. Though I still have 3/4 of a stick of Irisch Moos, I miss it since it was completely discontinued and that it was never offered as a puck. Now that they've reformulated Tabac too, well, that's even more loss to consider. I also miss La Toja Manantiales in the wooden bowl with cork lid. The biggest mistake I've made in shaving is 3017ing the one I had. I still think the La Toja stick is the best soap in production, but man, who can get excited about a stick?

Back