The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's your bag?

This weekend I had the unfortunate coincidence of (1) leaving my bag in my car and (2) having someone rifle through the cars in our garage. Of course my bag went missing and is presumably MIA. My bag had my computer, some wireless headphones and a few other things. Mostly a pain in the neck - the computer's encrypted and nothing is ever saved only locally on it. Still an expensive lesson.

I'll be able to replace most or all of it, but I'm wondering if I should be thinking about a different bag. I've had the one I was using for 15-20 years. It's a Timbuk2 bike messenger bag similar to this one:

timbuk2-messenger-classic-messenger-bag-lightbeam_1108-1-2732_front-Timbuk2-ffff8181008181ff-1...jpg

It's primary use is to carry crap to and from work and/or to and from kids activities. Usually inside of it - a computer, wireless headphones in a case, reading glasses, pens, business cards, etc. May also have gym clothes (clean or sweaty) and/or mini-dopp kit for periodic spurts of athletic pursuits at the local Y.

Other use cases: bag to bring crap to and from work via bike; carry-on bag with stuff for the plane; overnight on a last-minute business trip; weekend bag.

So while this one is versatile enough to buy again, I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything else I might want to think about. What do you use that might be better for me?

Thanks.

Bob

Sorry to hear about your mishap. We regularly catch people on our Ring doorbell videos checking car doors to see if they are unlocked and if so, they go through them. And we often see people going into backyards looking for stuff to steal. So I can sympathize. Over the years I've used Lands End canvas briefcases and more recently I've been using a Mountainsmith Network 25 bag. Sadly they don't make them anymore. I think my favorite was the Mountainsmith because it was tough as nails, had a bright yellow interior making it easy to find stuff and it was light. But best of all it was cheap. I'm on my second or third and this last one still has some life left in it. But if I were to need another briefcase/laptop bag, I'm not sure what I'd go for. I'm not a huge fan of the messenger style bags. I liked all the compartments in the Network. I checked Lands End's website again and I see they make a similar laptop bag to Mountainsmith's made of similar material. I think they call it the LE Business Briefcase. And it's super cheap. Which probably means they plan on discontinuing it. I'd have to give that one some consideration. Following to see what else people recommend.

I’ve been using a Fjallraven High Coast 26 for the last few years and really like it. It’s big enough for a weekend trip or the work week. It has a hardish backplate which makes having a computer in the slot for a water bladder go unnoticed. It’s also built extremely well.

This is what I've used for so long it's not available any more. Actually am interested in this thread because I could use one that's a touch deeper and has a top handle.

This is what I use for work. I got a killer deal on it when a local business closed shop. But I am not sure that I would use it for a weekend bag or anything. It has a laptop section and is plenty big enough to do anything I want for work. I carry large legal files in it plus a mini office pretty much. Probably not what you are looking for...but thought I would share.

When I worked as an Intel Analyst, I was constantly on the go. Grabbing my laptop, throwing extra clothes, toiletries, and food in the bag plus whatever I needed to get through the night or a couple of days. I have had exactly two of these bags (in some form or fashion) over the past 20 years. The first one lasted about 12 years and the only reason why it died was because I did something stupid and broke the zipper. They have (or at least had) a lifetime warranty and I could have sent it in to get replaced or repaired...but I needed a bag immediately and so I bought another one. The one I have now is looking a little worse for wear, but functionally, there is nothing wrong with it. Honestly, I have been impressed with it's durability.

More of a backpack guy at the moment. Just a really old hiking pack with some essentials.

Similar to:
B4BA458B-667A-40F4-8475-E4682B79879C.jpeg

Usually carries:
1/2 gallon Rtic water jug
1 Shemagh
First Aid kit
Couple pens
Some kind of gum/tic-tac
Couple snacks
with plenty of room for anything else I need for the day.

@The Monkey's bag reminded me that I should look at one of the bags made by folks up the road in Duluth - either by Duluth Pack (the old standby) or Frost River (the new kid in town). I've got several Duluth bags for canoeing and have a 30 year old knapsack that is still going strong.

Right now I'm drooling over this

or this

but don't know if I want to spend that much....

I wish more folks would post here. As I showed I use a basic cloth satchel daily for work. But I’m looking at the same problem I had that caused me to buy that bag.

In the winter, we wear coats that I can fill with my keys and earbuds and such. I can put that stuff in my work bag during the week, but I’m not carrying a satchel everywhere in the evenings or weekends. When it gets warmer, the only place for those is the pants pockets. And I like to have more stuff with me than I did a year ago.

I would like to get a small EDC bag and then a slightly larger satchel that I can put the smaller bag, my fountain pen pouch, laptop and other work things in. The hard part is finding a smaller bag that looks masculine enough so it didn’t look like a purse, but nice enough it doesn’t look like you got it from the surplus store.

This is what I’ve carried over the last 8 years or so. It’s held up really well and acquired some character along the way. Similar look to Don’s bag, but probably a little slimmer. It easily fits my laptop, iPad and some legal sized folders/red jackets. In my humble opinion, if you’re going to be carrying it everyday, it’s worth spending a little more on something you really like.

C29915F9-E09B-4A21-A7B9-33105E0ED985.jpeg

In my humble opinion, if you’re going to be carrying it everyday, it’s worth spending a little more on something you really like.
This is definitely true.

I was driving near my house and saw this storefront for a company that said it had been in St. Paul since 1905. Saw a few bags in the window, so I thought I'd check out what they had in stock. Not sure I'm going to go this way after looking here:

This is what I’ve carried over the last 8 years or so. It’s held up really well and acquired some character along the way. Similar look to Don’s bag, but probably a little slimmer. It easily fits my laptop, iPad and some legal sized folders/red jackets. In my humble opinion, if you’re going to be carrying it everyday, it’s worth spending a little more on something you really like.

View attachment 16568
Good looking Bag!

This is definitely true.

I was driving near my house and saw this storefront for a company that said it had been in St. Paul since 1905. Saw a few bags in the window, so I thought I'd check out what they had in stock. Not sure I'm going to go this way after looking here:

OOH! Like some of those a lot!

Check out this site. I haven't bought a bag from them...but I've bought a padfolio, wallet, business card holder, and a belt. Oh man...they make some of the best and most practical belts ever.

OOH! Like some of those a lot!

Check out this site. I haven't bought a bag from them...but I've bought a padfolio, wallet, business card holder, and a belt. Oh man...they make some of the best and most practical belts ever.

Wow - nice stuff. I especially like the belts!

Back