The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Song First Grabbed You?

Graybeard57

TSC's Steven Wright
Veteran
While posting a couple of tunes for @MarkB today, I started reminiscing about songs from my youth. This was the first song that captivated me. It was late one night, likely summer '65, I was 8 years old, listening to my Radio Shack 9 volt transistor radio through its earphone (so my parents couldn't hear) when this came on WOHO AM radio out of Toledo where we lived. It sent chills up my spine as I hung on every sweet note. I already liked the Beatles, as the year before my parents had given us kids the VeeJay album "Introducing the Beatles", but this was different. It spoke to me, it immediately had my full attention. For weeks I listened to the radio, hoping to hear it again, but it was years before I caught it on air again. Within seconds I recognized it and listened intently, and it again sent chills up my spine. I remember back in '65 thinking, "If this is what love feels like, I can't wait to fall in love."
What song first grabbed you, that made you stop doing whatever you were doing and truly speak to you? This one is mine, and I still love it, and it still gives me chills and makes me feel like that 8 year old boy again.

While I’m sure I could name a bunch of songs from the late 70’s / early 80’s that I remember the best (especially these always bring back memories of spending time at the town pool with the songs playing over the loud speaker)……the song that really grabbed me - that I’d sit by our family stereo speaker with a tape deck so I could record (and hoping either Rick Dees or Casey Kasem wouldn’t talk over the lead in) was…..

I’m still gaga over the Queen of Rock-N-Roll!

While I’m sure I could name a bunch of songs from the late 70’s / early 80’s that I remember the best (especially these always bring back memories of spending time at the town pool with the songs playing over the loud speaker)……the song that really grabbed me - that I’d sit by our family stereo speaker with a tape deck so I could record (and hoping either Rick Dees or Casey Kasem wouldn’t talk over the lead in) was…..

Three things:
  1. I love Joan Jett! IMO, she is the best female rock star ever.
  2. I saw her live on July 21 and she absolutely killed it. It was one of my bucket list items to see her in concert and I was not disappointed.
  3. While this isn't the first song to ever grab me, it is one of the most memorable and one that has stuck with me until today.

I had forgotten the electronica beat. Queen always delivers. Took me a little while to warm up to them, but before too long I became an all out fan. Brian May, despite the attention he has gotten as a guitarist, is still underrated, IMO. Plus a PhD in astrophysics - wow. Queen's videos are always top rate. They have always been a visual band, as well as having superior musicianship.
I love Joan Jett! IMO, she is the best female rock star ever.
No argument from me. :)

I saw her live on July 21 and she absolutely killed it. It was one of my bucket list items to see her in concert and I was not disappointed.

OK, now I'm jealous!

This was so cool to me back in the day.

Good Lord, what a great R&R song! This and Black Dog are my favorite Zeppelin songs.
this song cut deep down into my soul back when i was in high school. been an avid follower and listenter to music from the 60's and early 70's ever since. really dig music from that time period
Excellent version of Dylan's song. There's another version I love, by Dave Mason (speaking of underrated guitarists). He performed it the three times I saw him in concert. I can still hear his guitar ringing in my head. It was a real crowd pleaser.

TBH the first song(s) that had a real effect on me were not the first songs that I really enjoyed. The first songs i loved came as my father showed me his vinyl collection that included the white album and Lonely Hearts. Loved it. This was the early mid 80s.

A bit later, i got a couple cassettes that i “loved” Musical Youth, Blondie and El debarge. Holy Crap. Pass the dutchie, tide is high, and rhythm of the night!

I didn’t really understand the transformative feeling/love for any song until i heard the jam from shabba and krs. Not my fav, but opened the door to a lot of experience and adventure.

This entire album, but more specifically this song is what made me a lifelong Beastie Boys fan. I was 10 when it came out. I put this cassette in my Walkman and listened to it almost exclusively for many years.

I remember the first time I heard this song / album... My whole world changed..

Wow! Electric jazz guitar is pure sophistication, isn't it? Nice bass lines, too. ;) A high school classmate of mine played upright bass on one of his records.
This is easy
Hmm...influenced at a young age by Pink Floyd. Tell me, Dave, were the warnings about having flashbacks true? 🤩
in my Walkman and listened to it almost exclusively for many years.
Rap certainly took the world by storm, and its popularity continues to grow as new generations discover it. Millions of people enjoy what I once thought was a fad. Brother, was I wrong!

I still enjoy Blondie's, and Deborah Harry's music (I think she goes by Deborah now).

Last year i was introducing tide is high to my kids and as much i loved the song, lamented that the words werent really from a guys perspective and as miracles happened, when i searched up the song, the OG version by the paragons came up and resolved my issue.

Wow! Electric jazz guitar is pure sophistication, isn't it? Nice bass lines, too. ;) A high school classmate of mine played upright bass on one of his records.

Hmm...influenced at a young age by Pink Floyd. Tell me, Dave, were the warnings about having flashbacks true? 🤩

Rap certainly took the world by storm, and its popularity continues to grow as new generations discover it. Millions of people enjoy what I once thought was a fad. Brother, was I wrong!
Indeed I am still in one LOL

Last year i was introducing tide is high to my kids and as much i loved the song, lamented that the words werent really from a guys perspective and as miracles happened, when i searched up the song, the OG version by the paragons came up and resolved my issue.

Blondie sure did a faithful cover. I've enjoyed reggae for quite some time. Thanks for sharing this. :)

Don’t laugh…. The first song I remember just loving was Sugar, Sugar by The Archies. It was the first 45 I ever bought. I must have been about 13 or 14. Musically, I’m stuck in the long ago. I can listen to The Beatles, The Beach Boys, ABBA, The Carpenters for hours on end driving the big truck. There are some singles I just love too. Heart - Crazy On You. The guitar opening is superb. Orleans - Still The One.

Don’t laugh…. The first song I remember just loving was Sugar, Sugar by The Archies. It was the first 45 I ever bought. I must have been about 13 or 14. Musically, I’m stuck in the long ago. I can listen to The Beatles, The Beach Boys, ABBA, The Carpenters for hours on end driving the big truck. There are some singles I just love too. Heart - Crazy On You. The guitar opening is superb. Orleans - Still The One.
Love those songs. Sugar, Sugar was a huge hit in its day. I just checked, and it reached #1 on Billboard. I used to watch the Archies cartoon, who put out a music video of the song that they played on the show - probably where I first heard it. :D

While posting a couple of tunes for @MarkB today, I started reminiscing about songs from my youth. This was the first song that captivated me. It was late one night, likely summer '65, I was 8 years old, listening to my Radio Shack 9 volt transistor radio through its earphone (so my parents couldn't hear) when this came on WOHO AM radio out of Toledo where we lived.
Out of curiosity, I checked to see where this song reached on Billboard. It got to #5 in 1966. Released late '65 as a B-side, and January '66 as an A-side, demonstrating once again @MarkB 's assertion that B-sides are often more interesting. I probably heard it in 1966, so I may have been 9 years old if I heard it in the summer, as my birthday is in March.

Back