The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What music brings you to your happy place

Wow Lisa...I had no idea! Mad respect for you.

My list of music that takes me to my happy place isn't really in line with my age. Though I tend to be all over the place and depending on the season depends on the genre of music I listen to.

My happy place tends to be melancholy. My typical go to artists are The Arcade Fire and The National.

I am also in and out of contemporary folk, Blue grass, New Grass and the such. I listen a lot to The Avett Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show, Trampled by Turtles, and Kasey Chambers.

Sometimes I will listen to older Guster albums and older Death Cab for Cutie. I really enjoy listening to The Postal service from that time as well.

Some of the newer artists I will occasionally listen to are Chvrches, Imagine Dragons, The Head and the Heart, and some others.

Of course if I want to go back to my musical Gen X roots and be angry again...I will listen to Depeche Mode, The Smiths, The Cure, and some others.

Some others I will just randomly through in there that I listen to are...Lord Huron, The Decemberists, Strumbellas, Modest Mouse, Father John Misty, AWOLNATION, Bon Iver, Cold War Kids, etc.

My absolute get in a relaxing mood album is...Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs!
Super DEEP Don, I'll have to check some of your stuff out.

I usually listen to Country but I can tolerate almost anything. I DO NOT tolerate rap and really don’t like it when rap style is added to other songs. I also reject all music from the 1950’s or older...some of the 60’s and 70’s music is enjoyable but my genre is 80’s and 90’s. Much of what Spider listed falls into the 80-90’s. In fact, I recently found out Iheart radio has 80’s and 90’s channels. I like a lot of what I hear on those channels. ...I also find a lot of what’s on there less enjoyable.

Bluegrass is fun but I only enjoy it live in small venues.

i wouldn’t say music has a calming effect for me. My hearing sucks and I have intense ringing in my ears/head so music is more of a background filler than something I focus on.

No rap for me either, my kids have tortured my with it waaaaay too much.

My music goes from Lorena McKennitt and Denez Prigent to Dethklok and Slipknot.

My first band that I really loved was back in 1978 when I saw Kiss meets phantom of the park. I was 6 but I knew then I was a metal head. Grew up listening to Sabbath, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Priest, Maiden, Alice Cooper. Then some of the hair bands got mixed in, like Cinderella, Kix, Steelheart.
Then I just branched out as I grew to appreciate the talent behind it more. I have a bit of ADD, so to me, the only important part of the lyrics is how the vocals fit to the music. Guess that's why the hardcore growlers like Dark Lunacy never bothered me.

I'm especially drawn to metal ballads though. Always was. Savatage and Helloween were favorites growing up, with Five Finger Deathpunch and In This Moment being among my go-to stuff now.
I still listen to some classic rock, dubstep, classical, industrial, metal, rock, pretty much anything I find pleasing to the ear. Although I'm not really into the hardcore rap, and not a fan of country. I like some bluegrass and some of the older country, but something about the new stuff actually triggers me if I have to hear it for more than a few minutes. Admittedly with my temper, it doesn't take much anyhow, but that's the only music that ever does.

Loreena McKennitt is great. Also Sarah McLauchlan and Tori Amos!

I was a Van Halen, AC/DC guy back in the day. Now I’m old and live in a house with 3 girls and just wish for quiet. So my go to music is acoustic covers.

Awesome thread!

My musical tastes are pretty broad, but I usually stay withing the realm of rock. Being a guitar player I can usually find some aspect of a song or band that I find interesting.

All time favorite band is Metallica. I've seen them live 7 times, and they never disappoint. Yes, i even like the weird Load/Reload era!

What generally calms me down varies. Sometimes it'll be The Beatles, sometimes Huey Lewis & The News, sometimes Testament.

My top 10 is a constantly changing list depending on my mood....but here's what it looks like now in no particular order:

Metallica
Tom Petty (Heartbreakers & solo)
Guns 'N 'Roses
Alice in Chains
Rolling Stones
Iron Maiden
The Misfits
Pantera
The Beatles
Jeff Beck

Awesome thread!

My musical tastes are pretty broad, but I usually stay withing the realm of rock. Being a guitar player I can usually find some aspect of a song or band that I find interesting.

All time favorite band is Metallica. I've seen them live 7 times, and they never disappoint. Yes, i even like the weird Load/Reload era!

What generally calms me down varies. Sometimes it'll be The Beatles, sometimes Huey Lewis & The News, sometimes Testament.

My top 10 is a constantly changing list depending on my mood....but here's what it looks like now in no particular order:

Metallica
Tom Petty (Heartbreakers & solo)
Guns 'N 'Roses
Alice in Chains
Rolling Stones
Iron Maiden
The Misfits
Pantera
The Beatles
Jeff Beck

Strong list!

My musical tastes are very catholic.

I listen to a great deal of Grateful Dead. Not because the music is relaxing or necessarily that good. What I am listening for is that microscopic tear punched in the veil. The view, albeit fleeting, is glorious.

Back