The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What is your curio razor?

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Most of us have one...and we love them! We may not be sure why...but we love them nonetheless. What are those razors that you have in your collection that yeah sure, you may have shaved with it once or twice, but you keep it around more for novelty sake than you do to shave with it. Bonus if you can post pictures of it.

I have a couple. But the one I prize the most is my Gillette Big Fellow. I "think" this guy dates back to 1926. It's in really great shape. To be honest I don't know if this has been re-plated or not, but I don't think it has. It has an original gum wood box and comes with a blade case. I picked this guy...err...fellow...that is Big Fellow...up for really a steal! I hope you all enjoy!

Well, I have an entire curio of razors....

But, I don’t think that’s what you had in mind.

these are my two favorites. I don’t really like the way they shave, but they are a couple of my prized possessions.

Darwin & Williams

Why yes you do!
1f632.png

Darwin & Williams

I am very envious!

My next curio razor is one that I was really excited to get. I paid a bit more than my Gillette Big Fellow, but something I didn't mind paying a little more for. I still think I got a pretty good deal though.

It's my 1972 Gillete Psych Tech! Birth Year nonetheless! And did I mention...I have an original key! I mean...does it get any better than that? Like the kid that has to open up his baseball cards...of course I had to shave with it. I know it's just a tech...but it shaved a lot better than I thought it would.

Wonderful razors, gentlemen!

I don't have anything quite as rare as those, but these are my "curio" razors. 48-51' Gillette Aristocrat with the original case and a William H. Ragg Napoleon with only 6 shaves on it in its life.

Wonderful razors, gentlemen!

I don't have anything quite as rare as those, but these are my "curio" razors. 48-51' Gillette Aristocrat with the original case and a William H. Ragg Napoleon with only 6 shaves on it in its life.

Love those razors Josh!

My next curio razor is one that I was really excited to get. I paid a bit more than my Gillette Big Fellow, but something I didn't mind paying a little more for. I still think I got a pretty good deal though.

It's my 1972 Gillete Psych Tech! Birth Year nonetheless! And did I mention...I have an original key! I mean...does it get any better than that? Like the kid that has to open up his baseball cards...of course I had to shave with it. I know it's just a tech...but it shaved a lot better than I thought it would.
Nice! I passed up one of those when I was just getting starting. Now I keep looking for them.

Really nice pieces in here gentlemen!

I think if I started collecting, SWMBO would swiftly end my traditional shaving adventures. ?

Really nice pieces in here gentlemen!

I think if I started collecting, SWMBO would swiftly end my traditional shaving adventures.

To be honest Chris...I didn't really go out and look for those razors...I just really "happened" upon them...well sort of. KJ on the other hand...I think he might have a real problem!

This is the Grand Shave King. Saw this guy at a junk store and picked him up for half of a saw buck. Steel in my opinion. I think they only made these things for two years in the forties (1945 and 1946...I think). The top plate is notoriously soft and when you find them they are usually concave shaped from over-torquing. This one is in pretty good shape. It's an interesting shave and is VERY mild.

Enjoy your day gents!

All very nice. I'm glad I have not been bitten by the vintage DE razor bug. I did happen to pick up a near birth year (first year, I'm older than the Fat Boy) at what I considered a reasonable price, and I have never liked the way that it shaved. It has a lot of the original plating, appears to be in perfect working condition, but it is way too mild a shave even when turned up all the way. It probably could use a tweaking, but I know nothing about the mechanics of them. I do have a Tech as well that is still in the vacuum seal from the vendor that I have never shaved with. I moved into straight razors soon after getting back into wet shaving, and I rarely shave with anything else.

Forgotten about this thread since visiting it about a month ago. then again, a month ago I didn't have anything really unusual, just your every day Weck Surgical Prep and Gillette Cavalier. Finally got two within a couple of weeks:

Merkur 71 (non adjustable Progress) and Eros (same model as the Merkur B3)

I recently relinquished ownership of my near perfect Khaki Set and Wade and Butcher but will include a Pic anyway as I did love them while owned. There in good hands of members of another Forum.

I do still possess My Bigelow and Parkin razor and a Psycho razor that I too just had to shave with at least once while "Free and Sane".......well "Free" anyway. Oh and LOOK, it has an original key too !! Also have an aftermarket key and HAVE shaved with the B&P razor as well.

VERY NICE! That Khaki Set is in really good condition. I hope the new owner appreciates it as much as you did!

Back