The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What do you like about your favorite aftershaves?

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
I enjoy a nice strong alcohol feel to my aftershaves. To me, a splash of 15% alcohol witch hazel is BORING. I enjoy a nice cooling effect most of the time whether it be a menthol blasto-freezo or something a little less intense. I have been known to add a drop of Castor oil and several drops of Glycerin to a stronger AS (Stetson is the last one I did this to) but other than that I am pretty happy with the way Fine feels (alcohol, water, fragrance and menthol).

What day you? Do you enjoy a smoother feel? Maybe a balm rather than a splash? Assuming it isn’t a match to your soap of the day, do you have a favorite scent? Unscented?

I have not strayed far from Fine, Avon or the Pinaud line and rarely enjoy the artisan creations.

I’ve stayed away from artisans for the most part. I’m cheap. And I like the variety that I can find for under $10, whether it is vintage Avon or Old Spice that I find in an antique shop or the Drug Store favorites. In general I think the artisans are too expensive for what they are.... especially the ones that are just basically alcohol, water, menthol and scent and nothing else to help your skin in some way.

that said, the most important thing to me is scent, and I will splurge if it’s a scent I like..... like Agua Brava! Wowie! It’s my favorite!

I also want the the scent of my aftershave to last at least 4-6 hours of not longer. I’m not a cologne guy, and I pick my aftershave for the most part for the scent, because that’s what I want to smell like. With only a couple exceptions (4711), I don’t care for scents that die down quick.

i also appreciate a good menthol kick, but it has to match the scent. I have a couple splashes from Jeeves that I bought because I love the scent, and then I tried them an discovered the menthol in them messes with the scent. And they are “warm” scents to begin with, so a cooling sensation doesn’t even make sense there.

I’m kinda in between you guys. Love Fine Platinum for its long lasting, strong scent (often nearly all day with a quarter sized amount) and fantastic warm menthol feel.

Yet I also appreciate smooth skin food or witch hazel based AS such as Speick, Proraso Red, Lucky Tiger, or even generic witch hazel. I do lament that many of those scents aren’t as strong and don’t last anywhere near as long though, because they are really nice!

I only wear a frag occasionally. If I’m wearing an AS I don’t have a close matching frag to, I either won’t wear a frag or will only spritz one lightly for once the AS scent fades.

If an artisan could combine all those things (strong scent, menthol, smooth application, skin food, longevity)...yowza!

I agree with s lot of what is said already. In my favorite artisan AS I like skin food,alcohol and a menthol kick with strong and lasting scent. Dries down to non greasy feel but skin feels moisturized. Current 2 favorites are CFG and A&E splashes. Not a fan of balms or lotions.

I am going a different route than most here I think. If i buy a soap 90+% of the time I buy the matching splash. I typically use Thayers Lavender then Nivea Balm or I coloniali balm then the splash so skin food isnt as important in the splash itself. As a night shaver before i apply the frag of the day the A/S has long worn off and SWMBO is the only one that smells the splash other than myself.

I love it all as long as it's a scent I love & does not leave my face feeling greasy or too shiny.

Doesn't matter if it's classic or artisan, but most of mine are probably artisan. Also doesn't matter if it's menthol or not.

My favorites are B&M Reserve line (all but Fern), Fine, Stirling, WSP, & PAA. Then of course Pinaud Clubman!

I found myself shocked and disappointed when I found Everclear is no longer 200 proof in my state store. It is 151 proof! Still plenty strong without the medicinal note of Denatured/Rubbing alcohol. Ive made a couple of A/S combos one with an eye to match a Lemongrass and Lavender soap from MVM using essential oils. Another recipe working on to repel mosquitos without using Citronella. Then there is my Mongoose!

I know there isn't much in them...but my skin really likes the Fine aftershaves. It must be something in the Fragrance Oils they use. But after the dry down. My face agrees with it. I have some Chiseled Face aftershaves that I like a lot...but I'm not a fan of most of the scents. The Captain's Choice aftershaves are good...but can only get a faint whiff a couple hours later.

All in all...I do like a nice cooling effect in most of my aftershaves...even in the cold months. I have been known to add a layer of Osage Rub to just about any aftershave...just to get that freeze.

I love Bay Rum scents...but I find that most of them (much like lime scents) have short longevity. Sandalwood anything...yes please! I guess in a nutshell...I like the alcohol splashes...not so much for the burn, but for that feel on the face. Something moisturizing is nice...but I depend on the soap for the post part for that. Cooling is preferred. Scent is essential.

I am not a big balm guy but only in rare occasions when my face needs repair. They just seem to suffocate me and I tend to sweat my but off. Some lotions are good but I typically just use these when I need a bit more moisturizing!

I love the artisan scents in their aftershaves. But I don't always like the aftershave itself. Some drug store scents are okay...but I want something more sophisticated sometimes and i certainly want more variety then they can offer.

I am like TJ...if I buy a soap...I often want the matching aftershave...but not always.

Back