The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What discontinued AS do you miss most?

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
I used my beloved Agua Brava aftershave this morning, and realized my bottle is over half gone. It's no longer available, except for some overpriced bottles on eBay. I realized how sad I will be when it's gone, because the scent is so nice. I do have some of the Cologne (which is still produced), so the scent will live on, but it's not exactly the same.

1676481019980.jpeg

So what scents do miss the most, that you can no longer get, or are cherishing your last remaining stock of?

For me - it isn’t a matter of missing yet, it’s either I don’t understand the discontinuation of a product, reformulations, or in one case - bummed that I was never able to try…

Floïd Blue and Floïd Black - I have the latter and really like it but that’s been put on the chopping block. For the former - I know there are scents similar to it, but it would be nice to experience the real thing. Both I don’t understand why they were discontinued because they seem to be really popular.

One thing which mostly hits the frag world) are reformulations……..I think scents are very powerful and stay in your brain a lot longer on exactness……and companies make decisions either based on cost - or because ingredients (eg oakmoss) that were used in vintage versions are now banned.

For me it is Drakkar Noir - this was my first frag love……then I went a couple of decades before getting it again…..the now version is just slightly missing that something. I can say that also for Polo Green. I picked that up again and while it is good enough - my memory tells me something is slightly off or missing. I guess people could say the same for Old Spice.

What no more Aqua Brava! Oh that's a bummer, well next time I'm in the states I'll send you my bottle @Spider.

Floid Blue was my first big aftershave love, so sad it's gone, hearing about Black surprises me even more, being a little more modern.

Of course @Scuttlesoap getting into modern reformulations is a huge pit of despair.

I guess people could say the same for Old Spice.
True, but one things fans of Old Spice can take stock in, is that there is plenty of vintage juice out there, since OS took the Avon route of shaped decanters. Lots was purchased as gifts that never got used. Some of it is pricey, but you can get lucky finding it at thrift stores or antique shops. I've purchased many full bottles for between $1 and $5.

What no more Aqua Brava!
Yeah, it's been a few years, I can't remember exactly when it got discontinued. Every now and then, like today, I look it up to see if it has come back.

Oh that's a bummer, well next time I'm in the states I'll send you my bottle @Spider.
Thanks!

Back