The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you all sleeping on?

We ended up going for the Nectar. It fit our budget the best and seemed to be too good not to try out with a year long trial period, free shipping & returns, and a near-lifetime warranty.

If it doesn’t work out, it’s pretty risk-free.

Thanks for your input all!

Hey, we could have done a group message that excluded you and all agreed to say that we use the same thing ( An old potato sack filled with leaves ) :cool:
... even better.
eb85dcafc3fc4767e3b42e1356d10cce.jpg

We ended up going for the Nectar. It fit our budget the best and seemed to be too good not to try out with a year long trial period, free shipping & returns, and a near-lifetime warranty.

Anyone ever return one of those? There are many that come vacuum packed and expand to full size when opened. I always wondered how in the heck you could return it once it's a lot bigger than what it came in.

Anyone ever return one of those? There are many that come vacuum packed and expand to full size when opened. I always wondered how in the heck you could return it once it's a lot bigger than what it came in.
It appears most companies won’t take back a mattress used in any manner. You take it to a donation/recycling spot, but you still get your money back.

So did you get used to the foam and do you like it?

We’ve been sleeping on it (queen size) since Monday (?) night now. Wife loves it and is already convinced, I’m still getting a feel for it; frankly anything was going to be better than what we had at the time.

Random thoughts:

Definitely feels like sleep quality has improved some. Much, much harder to feel when the other person is shifting around. Probably best for back and stomach sleepers, definitely feeling better support. Side sleep is better, but probably not as much as a deeper gel layered mattress. Don’t feel like I’m going to roll off the side at any point, so foam structure must be decent. I do feel the foam may trap heat a little more than a basic spring bed, but the missus says she hasn’t felt any difference. Was starting to get a lot of dead-arm issues with old mattress, I don’t think I’ve had that since the switch.

So I’m still undecided, though it is definitely better than the old spring mattress. It wouldn’t be bad at this point if we just kept it. I just honestly don’t know if I could do better or not at this point. We should probably lay go visit Ikea and a real mattress store or two to try a few others.

I was going to suggest visiting a Jeromes or similar type store that has mattress’ made for them and has a variety on display you can try out. My wife would say go with one step firmer than you think you would want (although I forget her reasons). I know I preferred the hybrid type and am happy we got one. My dad got the vacuum packed kind and it’s really nice but the old guy can’t scoot to the edge without feeling like he’s going to fall out. I like that my wife can move and I don’t feel it ...or more accurately, I can move and SHE doesn’t feel it but the reality for me is the quality of feel is only marginally better for me than the old cheapo mattress I had before. I still use a few pillows to achieve the comfort I seek. I am HOPING when I have finished making the payments on the bedroom set and mattress I will sleep better, the last payment is coming up soon so we will see.

We have the sleep number classic. It has dual controls. 1 for each side. We are going on 20 plus years with it. Bought the base line and put our own gel topper on under the mattress pad. Paid @$850 Not for everyone as @NurseDave didn't care for it but I wouldn't hesitate to get another.
We did almost exactly this. We also have a mattress topper that I believe predates this bed. It is made of wool filling, with a cotton outer cover.... probably 20 to 25 years old. Made by a company called "Cuddle Ewe." Most of the time my sleep number is 100, and the War Department has her side at 45 to 60.

The funny thing is, we used to go through mattresses like crazy. I mean, every year, maybe two. She has a bad back, and always assumed she needed a former mattress, and I thought I preferred a softer one.

We were SHOCKED to find that the opposite was the case.

Good luck my friend!

Some day you will tell you what I use for a pillow!

Back