The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

what are these called?

jimmie

Jr. Shave Member
Screenshot_20221227-201417~2.png

I cannot find these anywhere. but I'm not sure what they're called? the first straight razor I saw had one like this and then I never saw another one until I come across this video.

nobody uses them because everybody peens, which I totally did, but I want to do one that I can take apart from the outside without tearing it apart. if for no other reason, just to do it. but I can't even figure out what they're called I watched the video I listened I googled but, as typical in my world, nothing goes right.

I was trying to find the right forum and it put me on the page to start typing so I started typing. I figure somebody can move it where it needs to go. sorry if I'm in the wrong place

View attachment 101522

I cannot find these anywhere. but I'm not sure what they're called? the first straight razor I saw had one like this and then I never saw another one until I come across this video.

nobody uses them because everybody peens, which I totally did, but I want to do one that I can take apart from the outside without tearing it apart. if for no other reason, just to do it. but I can't even figure out what they're called I watched the video I listened I googled but, as typical in my world, nothing goes right.

I was trying to find the right forum and it put me on the page to start typing so I started typing. I figure somebody can move it where it needs to go. sorry if I'm in the wrong place
I call them micro fasteners

I call them micro fasteners

I’ve heard them called micro fasteners as well.
vxthMRe.jpg

the first picture is the ones I'm looking for. I could have swore and I googled micro fasteners but that's not what it yielded as a result? oh well. that is it. I didn't know you had to have a special ranch though.

thanks guys. just one of my stupid questions LOL I don't really need them it just drives me nuts not being able to find them. did I mention, I'm ocd?

yep, micro fasteners. I use them often, they CAN be shaped and peened but I usually use a small grinder to flatten or shape the ends. I also get the different size washers to put inside the scales along side the blade and on the outside between the scales and the fastener. They don't have the same charm as a nicely peened brass pin but they work well. The biggest drawback is that they are usually much smaller than the hole in the tang, if the hole is REALLY big you might need to put a small brass tube in it to prevent excessive wiggle. I forget where I ordered mine but I doubt I got them from Amazon (could be wrong). They are often used in hobby sports like RC car's and plane's so you might be able to find them at a hobby shop or online hobby supply.

If you have a shop that deals with model trains near you they sell them..... There are several different size available and there are some that are great for using for "mockups"...
s-l500.jpg
then there are the more "standard" ones like the others have mentioned....
microbolt-kit.jpg
BTW.... They dont all take a special wrench or driver.....
There is a microfastner online just google it.... They are also even available on the bay .....

If you have a shop that deals with model trains near you they sell them..... There are several different size available and there are some that are great for using for "mockups"...
View attachment 101606
then there are the more "standard" ones like the others have mentioned....
View attachment 101607
BTW.... They dont all take a special wrench or driver.....
There is a microfastner online just google it.... They are also even available on the bay .....
I have the ones that look like lug nuts LOL. the ones on the second picture are definitely the ones I was trying to find. something that I don't have to peen, that I can interchange easily. besides stupid questions I also get pretty stupid ideas in my head. and I need some of those little and you see this fasteners. but that's definitely them I was about to have a mental breakdown if I didn't figure it out LOL

the first straight razor I wanted I thought looks like it had a little bolt that you would use a little crescent wrench or something on. then the more I looked I never saw another one, that's what got me started trying to find out what they were. I'll have to find some online. I don't ever get out since I got hurt. but I'll find some LOL

I have the ones that look like lug nuts LOL. the ones on the second picture are definitely the ones I was trying to find. something that I don't have to peen, that I can interchange easily. besides stupid questions I also get pretty stupid ideas in my head. and I need some of those little and you see this fasteners. but that's definitely them I was about to have a mental breakdown if I didn't figure it out LOL

the first straight razor I wanted I thought looks like it had a little bolt that you would use a little crescent wrench or something on. then the more I looked I never saw another one, that's what got me started trying to find out what they were. I'll have to find some online. I don't ever get out since I got hurt. but I'll find some LOL
Good luck and there are also these BTW which are listed as straight razor fillister...

fillisteR.jpeg

You can get the "chicago screws" in different sizes at Lowes (I've never seen them at Home Depot) but they will be aluminum or steel. If you want a brass or brass colored version you need to look at a tack supply like Tractor Supply, a local vet supply or feed store. I use them when making different kinds of strops, you need to make sure you get the right size/length for the job but if you are looking at a feed store or tack supply they usually stock sizes that work best with leather anyway.

EDIT: I don't think I have seen Chicago screws small enough to use for razors/scales. All I have ever seen at brick and mortar stores have been pencil sized

this is a whole new subject to me LOL I just knew I saw a straight razor that had like a nut on the end of it and that was all I knew and then I started realizing they pinned them and started figuring out what all of that was. I had never even picked up a straight razor until 6 months ago. I'd been in the nursing home 2 years looking for something to do.

I was 53 when I came in here and I think the next youngest person was probably 68. so something to do in my room led me to this. so I set out to find the bolts that held the blade in LOL. Chicago screws never heard of them never even seen them. they look like the screws that you would hold a strop in the holder with.

Cool. I guess they have multiple names.. Thanks for the reply with the added info. I hope it helps the original poster to find what he needs....
you guys are more than useful. they have brain farts, brain freezes, Brain overloads, Como toast brains. I have all the above. sometimes I get a razor , the scales , the pins everything ready and I just look at it, like, what do I do now LOL

and then I go, oh yeah. I get the anvil the hammer a wedge. and then I look at it wondering what now?

I spent five months reading watching videos trying to accumulate the stuff I would need. I have done a few but I had to undo everything I did and do it again I haven't got one put together that I would want to show anybody yet

Back