The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s your go to edge? Jnat, coticule, thuringian…

Hi Seth, good first post and question!

Personally I’ve really come to like finishing on a Jasper hone, marketed as Ancient Ocean Jasper. It is a super fast finisher that provides a very keen edge! They are much cheaper than a Thuringian too.

If I want a softer edge, I will take my Jasper edge to a very light slurry on my Thuringian. Finishing on my Escher can take a bit of time, but it also imparts a supremely smooth edge. Anymore, I just like to get my edge there and I’ll work a little backward by finishing on the Thuringian.

Hope this helps!

With my 65+ razors I have some finished on Shapton Glass 30k, Coticule, Zulu Grey, Translucent Arkansas, Hard Black Arkansas, True Hard Arkansas. The Shapton Glass series is the foundation of all my honing 1k, 2k, 4K, 8k, then finishing on the chosen finisher. Once finished, I strop on fine English bridle and a Kanayama 80000.

With my 65+ razors I have some finished on Shapton Glass 30k, Coticule, Zulu Grey, Translucent Arkansas, Hard Black Arkansas, True Hard Arkansas. The Shapton Glass series is the foundation of all my honing 1k, 2k, 4K, 8k, then finishing on the chosen finisher. Once finished, I strop on fine English bridle and a Kanayama 80000.
65. Wow!

65 huh Leon, Nice Travel Kit, LOL

65 huh Leon, Nice Travel Kit, LOL
Well, I don’t take them all with me at once and that includes all the Gold Dollars too, which I don’t use as much anymore. The GDs I use mostly for the head shaves. I have eight 7-day roll ups for travel and rotate through them. I used a fishing tackle bag to carry each trip’s gear. Also, this is why I cut back on recording shaves at nearly 80 videos because I got through all my rotations and razors.

I actually like an edge that has been stropped and shaved into condition. Most of my shaves are on edges with dozens of shaves since they have been honed, some over one hundred. I do enjoy fresh off the stones shaves too, but mainly I like how they compare to an edge with some history to it.

Last edited:
OK... I only own my grandfather's Shumate from the early 1900s... I clicked on this thread to see some razor photos.... come on guys. I need to experience the joy of owning those beautiful razors vicariously... thx in advance. ;)

Back