The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

WELCOME TRAVIS ARNOLD- CAISSON SHAVING CO.

Welcome Travis! Thanks for your support of the traditional shaving hobby and for your service!

@CaissonShaving will you be coming out with matching aftershaves at some point?

Get out of my brain!!
We have been working on this for a while now, but I'm stuck at a bit of a crossroads between splash vs balm. I might end up doing both - as growth and capital permits - but for now, I'm toying with the problem of keeping this product in line with Caisson Shaving Co.'s mission, and that is to provide a barbershop quality shave while in a foxhole. The packaging is going to be critical and I've been running some testing on different aluminum based containers... Still trying to find a manufacturer that will make an aluminum 100mL container shaped like a MKII "Pineapple" Grenade.
I'd love your opinions though about splash vs balm / lotion... Especially to those fellow vets who have ever had to shave in the mirrors of a HMMWV.

To answer your other question, I got into wet shaving while TDY in Phoenix, AZ for a few weeks. I stopped at an Art of Shaving store and I was intrigued. Ended up spending a few hundred dollars buying whatever the nice lady could throw at me. This got me hooked into wet shaving, as it was an immediate resolution to the chronic razor burn / bumps that I had been experiencing for 10+ years of daily shaving. Fast forward to June of 2020, I was allowed to begin remote working for my fulltime job and the entrepreneurial itch got me. I started thinking about how there is still a big lack of quality wet shaving products available to our service members and that I could perfectly fill that niche with a veteran owned brand. That's where it all began!

The next big challenges will be the aftershave, one or maybe two more soap scents, then the big push and focus to bring the manufacturing of the razors, blades and brushes here to the USA. (doubt I'll ever get the brush knots made here, but at least the handles and assembly.)

Get out of my brain!!
We have been working on this for a while now, but I'm stuck at a bit of a crossroads between splash vs balm. I might end up doing both - as growth and capital permits - but for now, I'm toying with the problem of keeping this product in line with Caisson Shaving Co.'s mission, and that is to provide a barbershop quality shave while in a foxhole. The packaging is going to be critical and I've been running some testing on different aluminum based containers... Still trying to find a manufacturer that will make an aluminum 100mL container shaped like a MKII "Pineapple" Grenade.
I'd love your opinions though about splash vs balm / lotion... Especially to those fellow vets who have ever had to shave in the mirrors of a HMMWV.

To answer your other question, I got into wet shaving while TDY in Phoenix, AZ for a few weeks. I stopped at an Art of Shaving store and I was intrigued. Ended up spending a few hundred dollars buying whatever the nice lady could throw at me. This got me hooked into wet shaving, as it was an immediate resolution to the chronic razor burn / bumps that I had been experiencing for 10+ years of daily shaving. Fast forward to June of 2020, I was allowed to begin remote working for my fulltime job and the entrepreneurial itch got me. I started thinking about how there is still a big lack of quality wet shaving products available to our service members and that I could perfectly fill that niche with a veteran owned brand. That's where it all began!

The next big challenges will be the aftershave, one or maybe two more soap scents, then the big push and focus to bring the manufacturing of the razors, blades and brushes here to the USA. (doubt I'll ever get the brush knots made here, but at least the handles and assembly.)
Whether an alcohol splash or balm, hopefully an unscented version for tactical reasons. My concern in the field would also be viscosity issues in cold weather field environments.

Get out of my brain!!

Thank you for the thoughtful reply!

My personal preference is an alcohol/witch Hazel splash, but I would buy both.

Great entrepreneurship story!

Whether an alcohol splash or balm, hopefully an unscented version for tactical reasons. My concern in the field would also be viscosity issues in cold weather field environments.
We will continue our "Sniper Scent" into our aftershaves as well!!

(wish I could figure out how to quote multiple people in one response)

@Luecke3262 I also prefer that as well... I have used Thayer's for years now, so something similar would be nice.

I'm toying with the problem of keeping this product in line with Caisson Shaving Co.'s mission, and that is to provide a barbershop quality shave while in a foxhole.
This is something that your customers would like to know more about. When I first visited your website, I was looking for an "About Us" page where to mentioned your background and what your mission was or why you made your theme. It'd also be nice to explain the names on the soap pages. It gives the products more character.

The packaging is going to be critical and I've been running some testing on different aluminum based containers... Still trying to find a manufacturer that will make an aluminum 100mL container shaped like a MKII "Pineapple" Grenade.
Saponoficio Varesino puts thier aftershaves in aluminum containers, and I'm not a huge fan of them because they dent easily. If one gets dropped, it's got an unrecoverable blemish. But, with your theme, that blemish could be character adding, especially with a grenade shaped bottle (dig that idea!).

My fist concern when thinking about foxhole shaving is having the aftershave out in the heat, which could cause separation in a balm. I will always favor a splash, and I think most in the hobby do. But average Joe on the street, may not be used to using aftershaves and may favor a balm, if he's thinking of trying something new.

(wish I could figure out how to quote multiple people in one response)
Hit the +Quote on multiple messages before responding.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply!

My personal preference is an alcohol/witch Hazel splash, but I would buy both.

Great entrepreneurship story!

This is something that your customers would like to know more about. When I first visited your website, I was looking for an "About Us" page where to mentioned your background and what your mission was or why you made your theme. It'd also be nice to explain the names on the soap pages. It gives the products more character.

Saponoficio Varesino puts thier aftershaves in aluminum containers, and I'm not a huge fan of them because they dent easily. If one gets dropped, it's got an unrecoverable blemish. But, with your theme, that blemish could be character adding, especially with a grenade shaped bottle (dig that idea!).

My fist concern when thinking about foxhole shaving is having the aftershave out in the heat, which could cause separation in a balm. I will always favor a splash, and I think most in the hobby do. But average Joe on the street, may not be used to using aftershaves and may favor a balm, if he's thinking of trying something new.

Hit the +Quote on multiple messages before responding.
Wooohooo!!!
Signing up to this forum might be one of the best things I've done! I really appreciate that feedback and I will spend some time on the About Us section of the website later tonight!
I think the balm/splash debate is settled then!! One thing I'd like to know (and maybe we can somehow tag the rep from SV in here?) is if you have ever noticed any leeching from the aluminum into the splash? I'm quite certain that I'll need a polycarbonate or polyethylene liner of some sort.

Wooohooo!!!
Signing up to this forum might be one of the best things I've done! I really appreciate that feedback and I will spend some time on the About Us section of the website later tonight!
I think the balm/splash debate is settled then!! One thing I'd like to know (and maybe we can somehow tag the rep from SV in here?) is if you have ever noticed any leeching from the aluminum into the splash? I'm quite certain that I'll need a polycarbonate or polyethylene liner of some sort.
No, I have had these for years and have never seen any leaching at all. With all natural based alcohols and food grade aluminum like the outdoor tumblers there is no issues

Back