The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Waterproofing my D.R. Harris/GFT/T&H wooden bowls

Pedigree

Jr. Shave Member
Wanting to waterproof both the wood and the stickers and paper ribbons (DR Harris bowls) using an oil-based clear gloss polyurethane spray. Would one coat be enough or would two coats be better?

I have restored many old soap bowls and have found Tung oil to be an excellent sealer. When applied in several coats, sanding with 0000 steel whoop between coats, it can reach a wonder luster. I HAVE used tung oil to coat over the old stickers (I often replace old stickers after removing them to refinish the bowl).

I haven’t used a spray poly but imagine several light coats buffed with 0000 steel whoop between coats would be the best way to do it. I have used a rub on water based poly but it is NOT an ideal option.

You could also use lacquer as it is very good at sealing and protecting BUT it might yellow the stickers.

@Pedigree I think @CBLindsay said it right! I would push Tung oil, for one because it's natural. Though, if the goal is to seal the entire thing including the label, I'd go with the spray poly as you and @CBLindsay mentioned. I have sealed several older bowls with tung oil(Yardley, Hershey's, and Wembdom) They all looked nice and never affected the shave. I have not tried the Poly, but I bet it would work well. There is a chance of water underrunning the poly, so I would say 2-3 coats would be for the best.

NOW if you really want a project, seal it with a bunch of coats(20+) of CA/ SUPER GLUE! Not a ton of fun applying it, but it really would create a very long-lasting and SHINY finish!

I applied 2-3 coats (3 coats on my DR Harris bowls). Really glad I did as the 3 coats really brought out the color and grain of the wood of the D.R. Harris bowls and sealed in the stickers and paper ribbons. I'm happy with the result. Now I need to figure out if I need to sand the inside of the bowls before applying the tung oil?

I applied 2-3 coats (3 coats on my DR Harris bowls). Really glad I did as the 3 coats really brought out the color and grain of the wood of the D.R. Harris bowls and sealed in the stickers and paper ribbons. I'm happy with the result. Now I need to figure out if I need to sand the inside of the bowls before applying the tung oil?
I imagine the tung oil was offered as a more natural alternative to poly. It would have impregnated the wood to improve water resistance. With poly on there, that is not possible. It may have worked if you applied the tung oil before the poly and let it dry thoroughly.

Sorry for the confusion. I applied the polyurethane to the outside of the bowl and the top of the lid where the stickers are. I would be applying the tung oil to the inside of the bowl and the underside of the lid.

Back