The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vreto Shaving Soap

Very recently while perusing another shaving forum (this one based in the UK), there was a lot of activity in the Group Buy category. Seems that there was a second Vreto shaving soap group buy going on and when I asked a friend if this was worth all the attention, he GUARANTEED me that it was. Cost was about $6 for a full size puck, with shipping running between $6-9 depending on how much you buy. This was international shipping and it included the USA and so I bought two for a total cost of $22. I know the soap came from Serbia and from the label and packing, I am not sure if this is an artisan soap maker or a hobbyist.

The soaps arrived yesterday and I lathered the Cedar Sandalwood tonight. Opening the tub and sniffing the soap, there was a cedar smell that was a little on the spicy side, almost close to rosemary. Not knowing what to expect, I did the Merkur Man method that @kingfisher spoke of a while back. The soap was kind of hard and so I kept loading the brush and adding water. Finally when I tried face lathering, I found that I loaded way too much soap and this was real hard core rich stuff. I put the brush in my lather bowl and started creating lather in the bowl, adding water two or three times, and the lather continued to build.

Finally I was ready and I realized I had enough lather for six passes. I loaded my Barbasol clone (which came in the same mail delivery) with a blade with a couple of shaves left before tossing. I wanted to see how slick and cushioning the lather was. I had a totally smooth and close shave with no effort, and I did just two passes plus touch up, and the rest of the lather went down the drain (but I now know better).

I was told by folks that were familiar with the soap that you are not buying it for the scent, but for the performance. I guess this gave me very low expectations on the scent, however I found it to be much better. Once lathered, there was a distinct cedar scent to it, and the sandalwood scent came on strong after rinsing off and lasted a couple of hours after.

Overall, I got to say that this is the best shave soap I have encountered so far. Unfortunately, outside of the group buy, I am not sure where it is sold or how you can obtain some. Just remember the name in case you come across it.

Thanks for taunting us with it!

I’m a sucker for woodsy scents, particularly sandalwood. Thanks for the review!

Awesome review. But WHY! Another soap I can't buy.
1f609.png

Soap maker is a hobbyist, he makes them couple times a year. I used 2., 3., and 4. formulaton, I belive his now doing 5. Vreto (that's his last name) has very sensitive skin, so his soaps are made with that purpose. You get decent shave and best posible post shave feel. But if your skin isn't extra sensitive, it lacks slickness. Residual, doesn't have at all. It costs 3 euro in Serbia, and can only be purchased from Vreto himself, or thrue vendor in local shaving forum. For that price range, I always go for Haslinger...

Back