The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage or New?

Bogeyman

Shave Member
Just curious as to whether the majority of shavers here use an old vintage razor or something new(?). The only new DE razors I have are a Baili 3 piece, PAA Prismatic and a Dollar Tree $1.00 Weishi that actually shaves very well. Nonetheless, for now I use old Tech razors for the most part.

I though this would get more traction in this sub-forum since it has more loafers, ne'er do wells, wisenheimers & assorted riff raff,

I have a mix of both. Off the top of my head, I think I have about an equal amount of both. I've been grabbing modern stuff lately, but my preferences sway like crazy.

I only have two straights, and that is what I like shaving with. I have a Dovo that was bought new and a Fromm No. 72 I bought from Griffith Shaving Goods. The Dovo is 5/8 and the Fromm is 6/8. Honestly I like both of them and I switch them out every shave. I want to get a Ralf Aust and Case soon.

I’m a big fan of vintage razors myself and if i were blind buying a new (new to me) razor I would most likely search out vintage before looking for a NEW one. I was able to find (and buy) a fantastic older schick shavette/straight that uses the feather artist club type blades but you don’t see many (any) true vintage single edge razors that use the AC blades so I suppose those would be the exception. It’s not that I don’t like or think the new razors (DE, SE or Straight) are nice or of good quality, I just think many vintage razors have qualities and value you don’t find in new razors. If nothing else, new razors lack character and history.

Just curious as to whether the majority of shavers here use an old vintage razor or something new(?). The only new DE razors I have are a Baili 3 piece, PAA Prismatic and a Dollar Tree $1.00 Weishi that actually shaves very well. Nonetheless, for now I use old Tech razors for the most part.

I though this would get more traction in this sub-forum since it has more loafers, ne'er do wells, wisenheimers & assorted riff raff,
I used various Merkur DEs for years, mainly a 39C "Sledgehammer" and Futur Adjustable. Then, for my birthday shave this past December, I broke out my 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable and had one of the best shaves I've experienced in a long time. Since then I've used only the classics; Slims and a 1961 FatBoy and couldn't be happier.

IMG-2592a.jpg

Back