The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage Aftershave Questions

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I keep my eye out for specific vintage aftershaves. Seaforth (by Spearhead) did a fantastic homage to Spiced Lime. Now I have found a vintage bottle As well as a vintage Aqua Velva Frosted Lime.

Is there anything I should be looking for to ensure it is the real deal. Unfortunately for both cases there is no box - but that is not unusual I have found in past experiences.

Looking for in the listing you mean? Or once you get it?

It’s always a crap shoot if you’ve never tried something to be able to verify if it’s genuine.

Seller rating/trustworthiness, perhaps with a good return policy, is really the only thing you can semi-rely on. Otherwise, ask for pictures, ask about flaws or defects in the packaging, tough % juice level remaining, etc.

I doubt, unlike frags, AS bottles/packaging get duped much…it’s mostly the juice inside you might have to worry is still good or genuine or not.

I think Chris nailed it. At least with perfumes, you can check batch codes, not sure they even exist for AS. It’s mostly just a trust game, and hoping they haven‘t turned even if everything is legit. Higher citrus content always means higher risk of the top having burned off for example.

Looking for in the listing you mean? Or once you get it?

It’s always a crap shoot if you’ve never tried something to be able to verify if it’s genuine.

Seller rating/trustworthiness, perhaps with a good return policy, is really the only thing you can semi-rely on. Otherwise, ask for pictures, ask about flaws or defects in the packaging, tough % juice level remaining, etc.

I doubt, unlike frags, AS bottles/packaging get duped much…it’s mostly the juice inside you might have to worry is still good or genuine or not.
Thank you my friend - you bring up some very good points; Looking at the listings - the vendors all have 99 to 100% satisfaction rates. I think the concerns I have - is that given that these are so hard to find - that the juice just looks too vibrant - does that make sense? They do have other versions for Seaforth - so they obviously have come across some estate sale; and they do specialize in vintage AS/colognes - so that is a plus.

Maybe the photographs are just taken with a crappy camera……I don’t think AS have batch numbers?

I think Chris nailed it. At least with perfumes, you can check batch codes, not sure they even exist for AS. It’s mostly just a trust game, and hoping they haven‘t turned even if everything is legit. Higher citrus content always means higher risk of the top having burned off for example.
Good points - I was surprised that based on the pictures of how full these seemed as well - with the age i would have expected some alcohol evaporation

Images? The Seaforth should be bright green and the frosted lime should be green as well. I'd trust them personally and if there is a lot of juice left, you can be sure they have a good seal on the bottle. I've never bought a knock off vintage AS, though I guess there could be a first for everything.

Good luck and DON'T PAY TOO MUCH! Some vintage AS gets listed for dumb amounts.

Images? The Seaforth should be bright green and the frosted lime should be green as well. I'd trust them personally and if there is a lot of juice left, you can be sure they have a good seal on the bottle. I've never bought a knock off vintage AS, though I guess there could be a first for everything.

Good luck and DON'T PAY TOO MUCH! Some vintage AS gets listed for dumb amounts.
I feel a little better because the Seaforth is bright green…..I expected the AV Lime to be muted in color based on pictures in ads….

1653584195184.png1653584270140.png

What they are offering - I think is reasonable for the Seaforth - just because of how rare it is - this is the first I have seen it pop up in almost a year - and it is a full bottle. I’m on the fence about the AV - though I love Williams and the AV brand and I’m sure I’ll like the scent - it is a little heftier because it is not as rare. I’ve reached out to the seller and asked if he’d consider a discount if I get both- we shall see.

Back