The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vacation Help

The Monkey

"I See the Good in Every Shave"
Legacy
We are headed out on vacation next week. Nothing special, just renting a hotel room for a week. But being on Keto is going to be hard! The number one thing we do on vacation is eat.
The problem with keto is it is an all or nothing propitiation. One cheat meal and it takes 3 days to get back into Ketosis.

Any tips so I don't lose all the gains I have lost?

I was kind of alluding to this elsewhere to this on tsc for me after a wild carb day.

imho, dont be too hard on yourself, “tomorrow” is another day to be better.

maybe get the menus from some local places online and do some planning to minimize issues and bring some snacks and have a waistpack full ‘o bacon and cheese?

It’s relatively easy to stay away from carbs. That part just takes willpower. Avoid sweets and breads!

Suggestion.
Breakfast: eggs & Bacon or ham, or a nice omelet. Avoid the toast & bagels

lunches: hamburger with no bun. Get them to lettuce wrap it if possible. And skip the fries.

dinners: steak or seafood and a steamed veggie.

The tricky part is getting enough fats. Since you are not making it, and adding fats while you cook, you have to add it afterwards. Eat butter, lots of butter! I will use a pat of butter with every bit of steak or eggs! I tell the waiter to bring me more butter than they have ever brought anyone before, and usually they need to bring me more after that.

orher good things you can add to meals aside from butter are sour cream and guacamole. Also cream cheese or regular cheese.

Eat an avocado!

or have a salad, but skip the normal dressing. Add bacon, ham, and eggs! Put a bunch of olive oil and red vinegar on it, it’s delicious.

It’s really not too hard, you just have to order things that you wouldn’t normally order.

also, be weary of sauces. And ask how things are prepared. That baked salmon from outback would be great, but that honey/bourbon glaze is a no-no. Just ask for no sauce.

Last edited:
Also, I’ll say this. It’s your vacation. If you want to splurge and enjoy a fabulous meal, especially if it’s something local that’s a speciality of the place you’re going, don’t deprive yourself of that experience. You can splurge. BUT, plan for it, and try to only do it once. AND if you do, the best way to recover and get back on track, is to fast the entire next day.

And honestly, if you eat a high carb meal, the next day you might feel like garbage, and won’t feel like eating anyway, lol.

Look...we need to enjoy ourselves from time to time. So enjoy yourself. But you don't have to go crazy. While you may not be keto...you can still make smart decisions. For those meals that are not truly spectacular (think of the times you eat somewhere that is a place you can go to anytime...on vacation or not) then eat smart. Don't fall for all the simple carbs. After all...you can get a Waffle House waffle pretty much anywhere. For those type meals...stick with the meals that are less bad. Save the indulgence for the more special meals. Then you can really enjoy something unique! Also...if you get desert...think of splitting one with the wife or kids. It will cut down on the sugars and save a little money to begin with. If you are driving long distance...pack your snacks...nuts, meat sticks, cheese sticks...etc. I went on a 20 hour road trip once and only had Macadamia nuts, cheese, hard boiled eggs, and meat sticks. You will be amazed at how filling those things are.

It's not all bad...just be smart about the things you do eat.

Really? Do you know where live?
Okay...point taken. The lesson is...if it's a meal that you are going to get at Subway, McDonalds, Burger King, etc...something that isn't really a treat...then go with more sensible options or just skip it altogether and just have a coffee. Wait for the splurge when you go to that fancy seafood restaurant or steak house (though you can probably eat low carb at those places if you look hard enough.

most if not all fast food joints have KETO or "protein" options, just ask

Burger joint Lettuce wrap instead of bun skip the fries
Subway -all sandwiches on the menu have a protein bowl option
Mexican food - Carne asada, not rice or beans and get calabacitas
Jersey Joes Cheese steaks -Chesse steak in a bowl
Chipotle- Cauliflower rice bowl, chicken, guac, sour cream, cheese

snacking will be the hard part.. Spicy Pork rinds, ir better if you can find the actual chicharon

. as stated above splurge if you must, this is not a prison sentence it, as I said before is a lifestyle. just know going in that if you are in deep ketosis and decide to have other items to your meals it could take anywhere from 24 hours to a week to get back into ketosis. It does NOT mean you will gain a bunch of weight, just be aware of your intake sizes and caloric amounts. Enjoy

Back