The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Unusual Traditions or Hobbies

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Now I would attest that most of our traditions or hobbies on this site are unusual - but let me know what else you guys (and ladies) do!

So several years back, a few of my Army buddies and I decided to meet locally and watch the Army-Navy game. We decided to get either Booney or Tactical hats for the game to root our team to victory - along with that came getting morale patches to put on. We decided to have a little competition to see if we could crack the others up with our morale patch selection, sometimes a play on words, a famous movie reference, a “motivational quote” or something we would have busted on the others while we were in)…….it was so fun, it became such a tradition that we do it each year now. I just found a velcro book that I can keep them on - but here are some of the ones that I have - I have about 5 pages worth (now some of the funnier ones are double entendres - nothing blatantly bad, but this is a gentlemanly club - so I won’t post those)…..

1655319235169.jpeg

1655319267605.jpeg

\

Is that where you've been? Missed ya man!
I'm still checking in here and there. Been getting the shop set up and running electricity to it. Trying to get a few things finished from before the move.
We still have no internet here. Although, there was a truck running new lines in front of the house yesterday. So very soon I hope. I really want to to a major update to my hobby thread and get in on a zoom call or two. Just too hard to do anything off my phone with the poor service here.

When I walk around I point out the genus and species of trees. It bores my company to death, but strangers don’t seem to flinch that I am talking to myself whilst alone.
What brought about this interest? Did your grandfather teach you - or was there something else that piqued your interest?

What brought about this interest? Did your grandfather teach you - or was there something else that piqued your interest?
I have always had this instinctual connection to trees. I have planted about a hundred in my lifetime as a hobby. About 20 or so on the old homestead and the others scattered on the edges of parking lots on abandoned factories or public parks. I am careful in my selections and check up on them. Two of the sites were redeveloped and kept my trees. Placement and type is key. It’s a legacy thing. Sitting beneath the shade of an acorn you planted 30 years ago is extremely exhilarating to my soul. Seeing another creature enjoy its shade or shelter is pure joy.

Last edited:
Tony, I planted about 100 pine trees this year. I have these 100 trees I’m growing from seedlings (get them cheap from the state). About 12 different varieties. Going to put them in the ground next spring. And in the spring, I’ll get more, different varieties.
1E05075D-3045-465A-BCDB-5E11E82C7176.jpeg

Attachments

• 63143A05-1D6C-430E-A9D4-CFCD3A815E80.jpeg
    63143A05-1D6C-430E-A9D4-CFCD3A815E80.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 3
I am a flintknapper. I take flint and break it down into different points or arrowheads. I make knives and generally anything that can be tipped with a flint blade.

carsusq-1.jpg

DSCN5355.JPG

I too am a blacksmith, and I love finding old tools, cleaning them up and using them. Part of this hobby led to me building a traditional shave horse used to hold wood when you use an old draw knife to shape it.

IMG_1229.JPG

I am a flintknapper. I take flint and break it down into different points or arrowheads. I make knives and generally anything that can be tipped with a flint blade.
That’s an amazing (and difficult hobby). I was an anthropology major and in a class on human evolution we got to try to do some flintknapping to see just how difficult it is and to appreciate the skill that our pre-modern human ancestors had in this regard. Getting to handle a tool from the Oldowan tool industry made by a H. habilis (~2 million years old) is one of those burned in my brain memories.

I was an anthropology major and in a class on human evolution we got to try to do some flintknapping to see just how difficult it is
I find it like a chess game with the stone. You always have to be thinking three or four flakes ahead. When I taught flintknapping classes, I used to tell all the student in the first class that all of their relatives used stone tools and flintknapping at some point. It's the great leveler of everyone. The rich guy, yeah, his relatives made and used flint tools the same as the poor guy's relatives. I've taught a number of people how to knap, and I never tire of seeing them have success. One guy I taught made a scruffy obsidian point and I told him it could kill a deer. He mounted it on a modern cedar arrow and promptly shot a doe with it. He called me from the woods so excited. I told him to sit and just take it in because it had probably been 400 years since a human used a stone point to kill a deer in the woods he was hunting in.

Back