The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Unique in Our Dens

20F06A84-E29D-43EB-AAA3-17A82FA99392.jpeg
The SR was my dad’s Dubl Duck that @uacowboy made custom scales for.

The Clubman Talc and shaving mug were from my grandpop’s barbershop. My dad had a few of the mugs and gave me one. He said all the regulars at the barbershop that would get shaves were assigned a mug. They would each leave their own brush at the shop and they were kept in the mugs.

The comb has the name and phone number from the barbershop my dad owned stamped on it.

This stuff isn’t nearly as cool as KJ’s clock though haha!

I disagree. This is on par with my Grandfathers aftershave bottles. When you have that personal connection to a piece, it makes it absolutely unique and so much more special.
Oh I know KJ. I was just being funny. The story behind the mug is pretty cool. I wish there was a way to find out who the regular was that used this particular one.

View attachment 43226
The SR was my dad’s Dubl Duck that @uacowboy made custom scales for.

The Clubman Talc and shaving mug were from my grandpop’s barbershop. My dad had a few of the mugs and gave me one. He said all the regulars at the barbershop that would get shaves were assigned a mug. They would each leave their own brush at the shop and they were kept in the mugs.

The comb has the name and phone number from the barbershop my dad owned stamped on it.

This stuff isn’t nearly as cool as KJ’s clock though haha!
I really like that! Does the talc container still have that Clubman scent?

Oh I know KJ. I was just being funny. The story behind the mug is pretty cool. I wish there was a way to find out who the regular was that used this particular one.
usually in these cases it was thier job, trade or hobby, and the mugs would be made with thier name somewhere on the mug, so he may have been a car dealer, collector mechanic ETC.. Great History

usually in these cases it was thier job, trade or hobby, and the mugs would be made with thier name somewhere on the mug, so he may have been a car dealer, collector mechanic ETC.. Great History

I remember hearing this as well. I do know that one of his longtime clients owned a car dealership in Philly so it’s possible this was his mug. I’ll have to ask my dad if he remembers any details, but I know one of the other mugs that was given to my cousin had a locomotive on it.

I really like that! Does the talc container still have that Clubman scent?

It could just be me but if you twist the top (it has a salt shaker type top) and squeeze the can, there is a faint Clubman odor to it...

I remember hearing this as well. I do know that one of his longtime clients owned a car dealership in Philly so it’s possible this was his mug. I’ll have to ask my dad if he remembers any details, but I know one of the other mugs that was given to my cousin had a locomotive on it.

It could just be me but if you twist the top (it has a salt shaker type top) and squeeze the can, there is a faint Clubman odor to it...
That is so awesome, I am thinking of reviving the practice in my shop, but getting hard to find makers of these mugs anymore unless I can get Sharon to get busy on the pottery wheel I bought her LOL

That is so awesome, I am thinking of reviving the practice in my shop, but getting hard to find makers of these mugs anymore unless I can get Sharon to get busy on the pottery wheel I bought her LOL
I would love one of these. I have searched for a maker that does the Old style custom shave mugs and have not been able to find anything. I have searched antique stores and online to try and find an old one with my name on it, but no luck. I know I can find someone to sell me a white coffee cup with my name on it , but I want the real deal. There was a guy on another forum a few years back that was making them (or having them made) for guys, but I was too late to get in on the order and I don't think he ever did them again.

I would love one of these. I have searched for a maker that does the Old style custom shave mugs and have not been able to find anything. I have searched antique stores and online to try and find an old one with my name on it, but no luck. I know I can find someone to sell me a white coffee cup with my name on it , but I want the real deal. There was a guy on another forum a few years back that was making them (or having them made) for guys, but I was too late to get in on the order and I don't think he ever did them again.
i have the specs and dimensions I just have to see if I can sweet talk the missus to do it the trick is the glazing and painting of the names and stuff, then re-firing might be a good retirement gig for her

This used to be in the den, now on display in the shop. A packable shave den with milkglass soap holder/bowl silvered mirror and brush holder. Circa late 1800’s -1910’s and folds up to place in a saddlebag. Was also told it could be WWI issue as a GI pack for the field

F3DF23C1-FC51-446C-9CE0-CFED6B67E899.jpeg

This used to be in the den, now on display in the shop. A packable shave den with milkglass soap holder/bowl silvered mirror and brush holder. Circa late 1800’s -1910’s and folds up to place in a saddlebag. Was also told it could be WWI issue as a GI pack for the field

View attachment 43287
I really love this hobby in that we have folks that keep ir]tems from times passed - and that for the most part - things are still useable

Back