The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uneven bevel

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
how would one go about fixing a straight razor with an uneven bevel, where one side of the bevel is slight higher than the other?

I find the main reason for this being the grind of the razor. Its more of an issue of looks as it wont make a differance in the shave. A lot of old Sheffield razors are this way.
Now if the honing was done unevenly it can cause this too. But the odds are minimal that this is the issue unless it was honed by someone who dont know what they are doing.

Do you know the cause of this particular uneven situation?
it looks like it was caused from sharpening one side of the blade longer than the other, some of these are beaters and practice straights, i was just wondering if it would be possible to even out the bevel. i havent had a chance to start sharpening yet, i would like to but im not sure where to start.

The cheapest way to hone is with lapping film. I’ll try and find my notes for you. There is also a honing section with notes. If it’s a nice razor, send it to doc226 or one of our hobbyist honers to get you started. Save the beaters for practice.

The visual bevel (the polished part at the edge) is influenced most by the geometry. If it’s uneven across one edge it can mean the blade is warped. If teach side has a different polished bevel presentation it basically means the spine has been worn more on one side than the other. You could tape the spine to work the bevel but in would NOT unless you absolutely have to to get a shave able edge.

If you really want to try to make sure the edge is centered on the blade the only way to know is to do some high angle honing like you would sharpen a knife but higher. Say 45 degrees. Then kill the hell out lf the edge like 90 degrees on the dmt plate. This would grind out the bevels and the edge to nothing.Then start hhoning from scratch. This will give you the chance to do the exact amount of laps on each side of the blade.

But, after all of that work and if you can get an edge back I bet it will still be uneven. Bad grinding from the Makers/Geometry is the cause most the time.

how would one go about fixing a straight razor with an uneven bevel, where one side of the bevel is slight higher than the other?
If the bevel needs reset, do the majority of the work on the side with the narrower reveal. Unless the difference is extreme it is mostly an aesthetics issue and would not cause problems with the shaving edge. In other words, it may not be worth the loss of steel to correct it.

A lot can be learned by thinking about these problem razors.

straights are hand ground, the only razors that will typically appear to have symmetrical bevel reveals OOTB are those of the hollowest grinds..

thanks for the input, i will see how the tape works, since some of these are beaters should i try to even out the bevel at all or just use them to practice honing. thanks.

Remember, when you hone steel off a straight razor, you can’t put it back on. I think the point of the advice given was to leave well enough alone especially if your razor is of some quality, vintage or new production. Yes, old beaters, Gold Dollars, are what you practice on, but generally on quality vintage, leave well enough alone.

thanks for the input, i will see how the tape works, since some of these are beaters should i try to even out the bevel at all or just use them to practice honing. thanks.
Well, if they're beaters, practice honing and evening out the bevels. Any time that you're establishing a new apex you can influence where that new apex will occur to a degree. So you can gradually move the apex toward having even bevels. If you even out the bevel reveals you are essentially following the grind so if the razor has a wonky grind there is only so much that you can do without a regrind. Minor regrind operations can be done by hand with sand paper and a cork or some other form.

Like I said, 'A lot can be learned from these problem razors'.

If you really want to try to make sure the edge is centered on the blade the only way to know is to do some high angle honing like you would sharpen a knife but higher. Say 45 degrees. Then kill the hell out lf the edge like 90 degrees on the dmt plate. This would grind out the bevels and the edge to nothing.Then start hhoning from scratch. This will give you the chance to do the exact amount of laps on each side of the blade.

But, after all of that work and if you can get an edge back I bet it will still be uneven. Bad grinding from the Makers/Geometry is the cause most the time.
If you wanted a wider bevel couldn’t you also just add another layer of tape? I’m not really sure. I have the same problem with my Friodur. But it’s an aesthetic issue. It shaves great but I just have a low spot in one little area

The simplest diagnosis is geometry issues. The simplest solution: live with it.
Yeah I have OCD about having a perfect bevel like some ppl. But something that I would see as an issue, Other people would say I’m crazy. But the more that I think about it you’re right…..if you can’t see it from the naked eye there is no need to force your hand into making it absolutely perfect. If it shaves perfect I should just let it be. But no, I have to keep messing with them lol

Back