The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Turning a soap into an AS?

GearNoir

“The Disney Princess’s Apprentice”
A thought occurred to me while passing a can of Barbasol foam/cream in the store just now...

Does anyone think that it would be possible to dissolve a moderate amount of soap in an alcohol (or perhaps witch hazel?) based AS solution to derive some of its scent and possibly a bit of whatever properties it might contain? In this case, Barbasol Aloe AS? ?

A thought occurred to me while passing a can of Barbasol foam/cream in the store just now...

Does anyone think that it would be possible to dissolve a moderate amount of soap in an alcohol (or perhaps witch hazel?) based AS solution to derive some of its scent and possibly a bit of whatever properties it might contain? In this case, Barbasol Aloe AS?
1f602.png

Wow! Only you Chris...

I would think that what you would end up with is a very sticky mess. But hey...what do I know. Here is a thought...Why don't you do a video...
1f609.png

I don’t think soap is something you want to leave on your face.

The amount of soap I’m talking about would be only just enough to be absorbed by the solution...like dissolving menthol crystals into alcohol to its maximum saturation point. At that point, after application, between skin absorption and evaporation, there would hopefully not be a residue on the face.

Was just curious if anyone had thought about it / tried it.

Soap is just fats that have been changed to “soap” by exposure to a base (kohl or NaOH) the reaction is actually reversible. This means exposing a soap to an acid will turn it back to a flop of fat. It doesn’t require a lot of heat for either reaction. I have actually “reverse engineered” some soaps by using this process. My methods and equipment are primitive so all I am really able to divine are rough percentages of water, fats and even fragrance oil.

If you had access to a centrifuge it would be WAY easier to accomplish the task but I can see being able to just take a bit of soap, dehydrate it (which may remove the desired scent) then rehydrate it with a Citric Acid, mix and allow to goopify. Take that goop (which is theoretically just oils and excess Citric Acid) and mix with an alcohol or witch hazel I

all of this said, it probably took me longer to write my response than it would take to find a commercially available product with similar scent OR locate a fragrance oil you could actually use.

Soap is just fats that have been changed to “soap” by exposure to a base (kohl or NaOH) the reaction is actually reversible. This means exposing a soap to an acid will turn it back to a flop of fat. It doesn’t require a lot of heat for either reaction. I have actually “reverse engineered” some soaps by using this process. My methods and equipment are primitive so all I am really able to divine are rough percentages of water, fats and even fragrance oil.

If you had access to a centrifuge it would be WAY easier to accomplish the task but I can see being able to just take a bit of soap, dehydrate it (which may remove the desired scent) then rehydrate it with a Citric Acid, mix and allow to goopify. Take that goop (which is theoretically just oils and excess Citric Acid) and mix with an alcohol or witch hazel I

all of this said, it probably took me longer to write my response than it would take to find a commercially available product with similar scent OR locate a fragrance oil you could actually use.

Lol! It was helpful though, thank you for chiming in!

Back