The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC SR Workshop Video 5.16.2020

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
As promised here is the Video form today's Workshop. It is raw and unedited and unfortunately did not record the very early portion of the zoom Call. Also it is a little over 90 minutes long. Please comment below and if you would like to see more of these. Being the 1st one it covered a huge swath of items and in future workshops will be shorter and more concise. Again thanks to ALL who made the call today.

Last edited:
Lots of good information in there, Dave, and the discussion with everyone adding in their experiences and questions was excellent. I even picked up a few things that I'll try to incorporate daily.

Here is the wonderful Chimensch video referenced...

Lots of good information in there, Dave, and the discussion with everyone adding in their experiences and questions was excellent. I even picked up a few things that I'll try to incorporate daily.

Here is the wonderful Chimensch video referenced...
Thanks Sam, I had lost this one ,perfect!

Thanks for posting that Chimensch video, @woodpusher !

I watched that when I first started SR shaving and thought, wow, that fellow is so confident with the straight.

It wasn't until I watched @BarberDave shave yesterday on the SR Workshop and then rewatched the Chimensch video that I realized how much technique was in those shaves.

On a side note, if you're thinking about SR shaving, just starting SR shaving, or have been SR shaving for years, go and watch BarberDave's series of videos on SR shaving on the Shaving Cadre YouTube channel! It is chock full of good information as well as basic and advanced techniques. Whether you use just a few of the suggestions, or many of them, it is well worth your time. I wish I had seen these when I first started with the straight, as it would have saved me a lot of time.

BarberDave, one thing I noticed on the Chimensch video is how much 'cross handed' shaving he did-many times he would shave the left side of his face with the right hand, and vice versa. I suppose it's all about what works for the individual shaver.

Thanks for posting that Chimensch video, @woodpusher !

I watched that when I first started SR shaving and thought, wow, that fellow is so confident with the straight.

It wasn't until I watched @BarberDave shave yesterday on the SR Workshop and then rewatched the Chimensch video that I realized how much technique was in those shaves.

On a side note, if you're thinking about SR shaving, just starting SR shaving, or have been SR shaving for years, go and watch BarberDave's series of videos on SR shaving on the Shaving Cadre YouTube channel! It is chock full of good information as well as basic and advanced techniques. Whether you use just a few of the suggestions, or many of them, it is well worth your time. I wish I had seen these when I first started with the straight, as it would have saved me a lot of time.

BarberDave, one thing I noticed on the Chimensch video is how much 'cross handed' shaving he did-many times he would shave the left side of his face with the right hand, and vice versa. I suppose it's all about what works for the individual shaver.
True, and I have adapted mine to fit my face, I am just, as I said a big proponent of Cross Handed shaving, probably due it part to my emulating him from the beginning. I studies his habits and strokes with the razor and it , just seemed at the time and still does, to be the most efficient way. I have gotten away my original neck technique that mirrored more of Chimensch's neck technique, but may try it again. Glad you were a part of yesterday and enjoyed it

Thanks Sam! I was going to look that up and post it as well, but you beat my to it. I definitely need to rewatch that.

Back