The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

If I can figure out how to load a pic, I'll do that in the future. But for now, I just opened a pre-1980 tin of Dunhill My Mixture 965. This was just before Dunhill outsourced their blending and packaging to Murray's. Well before the sale to Orlik, which was then obtained by Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG). While certainly comprising some fine leaf, (Most of my Murray's tins have quite a bit of twigs and veins) it doesn't have the power nor the pleasant smokiness of the Murray's. Still better than my Orlik tins, and certainly better than my Dunhill and Peterson STG tins.

If I can figure out how to load a pic, I'll do that in the future. But for now, I just opened a pre-1980 tin of Dunhill My Mixture 965. This was just before Dunhill outsourced their blending and packaging to Murray's. Well before the sale to Orlik, which was then obtained by Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG). While certainly comprising some fine leaf, (Most of my Murray's tins have quite a bit of twigs and veins) it doesn't have the power nor the pleasant smokiness of the Murray's. Still better than my Orlik tins, and certainly better than my Dunhill and Peterson STG tins.
Nice to have another pipe smoker here, we have a handful on the Cadre. I have not had the opportunity to have any of the older Dunhill stuff, started my pipe smoking too late, hope you enjoy it.

You can find some popping up from time to time on some of the popular forums. Occasionally on tin bids, and a few times on 4noggins consignment (but he's ultra pricey). Best bet is to attend one of the bigger pipe shows. I'm fortunate, as the Chicago Pipe Show is about 30 mins away from me. But Columbus Ohio and Kansas City have some decent availability as well. I picked up some older Orlik Dark Kentucky (before they renamed it Dark Strong Kentucky and changed the formulation) and two Murray's era tins of Ye Olde Signe, I think the most I paid was $60/tin. So it's still out there. And can still be had for reasonable prices. Though I'm currently on the search for some early Peterson's Sherlock Holmes.... the cream colored tins from the 90's, I think it was blended by Gallagher's. (I know some stuff was blended by Murray's and 3P's was blended by Kohlhasse and Dopp, but I'm almost certain that Sherlock was blended by Gallagher's) I saw two tins at Columbus 2 yrs ago, but got undercut by another buyer when they heard the seller had them. He basically told the guy to triple the price and He would buy them.

The problem is with transferring my photos to my computer. I've an ancient phone (by today's standards) an iPhone 6, and compatibility with my computer is now tricky. I'll figure it out though.
Oh, I post on the forums from my phone when I post photos. It's all about the cloud now baby!

You can find some popping up from time to time on some of the popular forums. Occasionally on tin bids, and a few times on 4noggins consignment (but he's ultra pricey). Best bet is to attend one of the bigger pipe shows. I'm fortunate, as the Chicago Pipe Show is about 30 mins away from me. But Columbus Ohio and Kansas City have some decent availability as well. I picked up some older Orlik Dark Kentucky (before they renamed it Dark Strong Kentucky and changed the formulation) and two Murray's era tins of Ye Olde Signe, I think the most I paid was $60/tin. So it's still out there. And can still be had for reasonable prices. Though I'm currently on the search for some early Peterson's Sherlock Holmes.... the cream colored tins from the 90's, I think it was blended by Gallagher's. (I know some stuff was blended by Murray's and 3P's was blended by Kohlhasse and Dopp, but I'm almost certain that Sherlock was blended by Gallagher's) I saw two tins at Columbus 2 yrs ago, but got undercut by another buyer when they heard the seller had them. He basically told the guy to triple the price and He would buy them.
I would love make it to a pipe show sometime, I think the closest one for me would be Columbus or the Capital Land show. I'm about about 5 hours away from both.

I would love make it to a pipe show sometime, I think the closest one for me would be Columbus or the Capital Land show. I'm about about 5 hours away from both.
Depending on the direction, (East...maybe the old Harrisburg PA show?) (South.....I believe one of the tobacco manufacturers has one, maybe Cornell and Diehl, or MacBaren/Sutliff); Also the Muletown pipe show in TN. There are still a few.

Depending on the direction, (East...maybe the old Harrisburg PA show?) (South.....I believe one of the tobacco manufacturers has one, maybe Cornell and Diehl, or MacBaren/Sutliff); Also the Muletown pipe show in TN. There are still a few.
Yeah, Harrisburg is 3 hours 45 minutes from me.

Back