The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Outdoor Thread!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Let's see your pics and hear your stories! Regale us with those times you went hiking, fishing, hunting, kayaking, or canoeing! Tells us about the critters you found in the forests and jungles, or just your backyard! Show us your livestock or your favorite plant! Let us see everything that we do at TSC in the outdoors!

I have a Crape Mytle in my back yard that the wife and I planted about four years ago. Then it was only about four feet tall (if that). As you can see, today it is getting pretty big! When we bought it, the tree was labeled as a Natchez Crape Myrtle. Natchez Crape Myrtles have white flowers and mature to about 30 feet.

But what I got I think are two trees that grow together as evidenced by the two colors of flowers. The pink flowers I think belong to a Muskogee Crape Myrtle. I believe these are two trees also, because the bark and wood have different characteristics. The White flowered Crape Myrtle has peeling bark with a cinnamon colored wood.

At any rate...the tree is beautiful. I just worry about what will happen in the future. The Muskogee Crape Myrtle matures to about 20 feet. So at some point...one will outpace the other. Not sure if the two can survive together or if they do...will one be so much taller than the other? At any rate...it sure is a looker!

I found this Eastern Slender Glass Lizard on my yard while mowing the other day. First time I’ve ever seen one in person. Yes, it’s a legless lizard, and definitely not a snake. It’s in the process of shedding it’s skin, so it looks a little weird in areas of its body/tail.

That is so awesome! I have heard of them...but really had no idea what they are! How do they move? I am assuming it is akin to how a snake moves...but I have no idea. Nature just has some amazing creatures!

Saw this guy yesterday. I think it is an Southeastern Lubber Grasshopper. Evidently they thrive in Southern Louisiana, but this is the first I have seen it. Evidently they don't really fly...they get around by crawling and clumsy jumps. The bright stripes and the red on the wings (when the wings are open the underside is completely red) are tell tale signs that let birds and other animals know that these guys are toxic. Yup, they evidently will make a small animal really sick and in some cases kill a bird or another predator. This one had about a three inch body (thereabouts but no smaller than two and a half inches)...this guy was big!

How do they move? I am assuming it is akin to how a snake moves...but I have no idea.
Similar, but a little different. Their body isn’t quite as flexible as a snake, so it’s a bit more jerky. But they’re also 2/3rds tail. I saw him in the grass from my tractor, and was pretty sure it was a lizard just from his movement, despite having never seen one outside of a picture before.

Similar, but a little different. Their body isn’t quite as flexible as a snake, so it’s a bit more jerky. But they’re also 2/3rds tail. I saw him in the grass from my tractor, and was pretty sure it was a lizard just from his movement, despite having never seen one outside of a picture before.

Very cool! I just watched a YouTube video on legless lizards. One of the cooler things I have watched recently. According to this vid I watched...the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark movie where Harrison Ford falls into the pit of snakes...evidently legless lizards were used. Not sure the validity on that statement, but thought it was interesting!

According to this vid I watched...the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark movie where Harrison Ford falls into the pit of snakes...evidently legless lizards were used. Not sure the validity on that statement, but thought it was interesting!

I had never heard that before. I just watched the scene. Indeed, ‘some’ of them are legless lizards, but not all.

I had never heard that before. I just watched the scene. Indeed, ‘some’ of them are legless lizards, but not all.

There are a few boas in there, and the scene with the cobra you can see the line in the sand where the glass shield was between Harrison and the cobra.

Was out camping this weekend.

Camping? What are all those mobile apartments around you then?
1f61d.png

Looks like a good time though!

Boas, Pythons, and some smaller colubrids. They used 10,000 snakes and lizards on that set.
My brain typed "and other types of snakes" after boas but my fingers didn't.
1f604.png

Oh well. We all know there was a lot even if 70% weren't even native to Egypt.
1f61c.png

Back