The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trying to move a post

Majorrich

"I have Always been Rich"
Veteran
Legacy
saw this on a social media site and was missing on the construction with a granite tile and a masonry blade on my circular saw. Feasable?

saw this on a social media site and was missing on the construction with a granite tile and a masonry blade on my circular saw. Feasable?

Sorry Rich, what are you asking here? I think you are asking if you could make one of these using a circular saw? I would think that you would want something with a fence on it, like a table saw designed for tile with water to cool the blade.

I just saw the picture and thought to myself (a dangerous thing) ‘Hmm. I have a blade that can cut that. I’ll ask the guys if this is a good idea to even try. It looks like a great huge area for lapping. Or landing a small plane.

Is the other side polished flat? If not it probably won't do you a lot of good for lapping film if that's what you are intending. The spaces may cause edges that will catch the blade.
As for cutting it, a circular saw would sort of work, but that is a pretty big cut to do dry. (looks like a 12x12 tile? and fairly thick) A wet saw would serve you much better for that.

I had thought it might be a good lapping surface to true up honing stones. Sprinkle some carborundum or what have you and the grooves carry away the stone slurry.

Rich I use just a flat smooth tile and SIC powder for lapping. Works great! A piece of marble or glass would work also.

Ok. Sorry, my brain read that as for using lapping film not for lapping stones.

It may work for that, depends on how durable it is. If it wears faster than the stone it won't do you much good.

Admittedly I haven't used any powder other than fitting industrial machine parts so I don't know how it reacts with stones or tiles.

Rich I use just a flat smooth tile and SIC powder for lapping. Works great! A piece of marble or glass would work also.

I am with Craig on this one. Some SiC on a flat piece of glass or granite (not too much) seems to be the most accepted way to lap a stone flat. However, this is not to say that the cut stone above would not work better. When lapping on a flat surface, if you do not have the abrasive distributed evenly under the stone you are trying to lap, then you might have a hard time getting it flat. The grooves cut into the lapping surface would provide an escape for areas where you might have excess abrasive, hence making it work better. I would think that using the cut stone would consume a lot of abrasive though, and might require frequent replenishing as the abrasive is lost to the grooves.

Another concern I would have is losing your powder in the grooves. Not sure how much of it would get carried off by the slurry as it escaped.

Back