The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Traditional Kamisori Honing

I have a traditional Kamisori that needs a better edge. This one is too tuggy and I would prefer something Uber sharp and smooth. Who is recommended in Kamisori sharpening?
View attachment 97688
If you are able to get a good edge on a western SR, this should be quite similar. The honing ratio from one side to the others can be estimated based on the size of the bevel face area. In my opinion the 7 to 1 or 5 to 1 does not make sense, but can serve as a guide.
If the bevel width is equal you get a 1-1 ratio. If one side of the blade has a bevel width 2 times the other side, the ratio is 1 to 2. Some of the bevel on one side is made of softer steel, so this changes things a little. More pressure on one side also compensates for a wider bevel.
There is nothing wrong with sending it to someone with experience, but this should be easier to hone then a western razor if you understand the basic principles. The rate of metal removal is proportional to the effective pressure, which is determined by the surface area. That leaves the soft part of the steel on one side as a variable you need to adjust for.

If the bevel is good, you might get away with just a finishing stone doing a 1 to 2(3) ratio, and finishing as you do with a symmetrical grind.

Nice razor by the way.

Ive done the two i have by watching gssixgun video on honing kamasori. Now thats been a few years ago. But as was said, if you just want to do a touch up its not a big deal to do. Give it a try.

Or watch the vid and go for it before sending it off. Looks nice btw

it should be similar to western style razor, that said it not my field of expertise and ratio honing is also popular. I guess both work, you just need to try a method and see what happens. You can always send it out if you don’t succeed, quit sure someone here will help you.

My best results have been to work on the bevel side a lot and take the feather off the reverse side. Then strop the bejeezus out of it. You want to watch where the hardened steel is in relation to the edge. There will be a tiny fillet of the softer side that only supports the hard steel that’s doing the cutting.

Back