The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tillotson Restore

Tathra11

Shave Member
Hey fellas. A hobby of mine is restoring straight razors. Specifically old Sheffields. But really, I dont mind where the razor is from so long as the razor is worth the time and effort. Unfortunately I've just had two operations in the last four weeks. So no razor resto work for me of late, as standing up for a length of time is not on. Thought I'd post some pics of razors I've tidied up of late.
This is an old Tillotson. A wonderful shaver with steel that will take a lovely edge. Lots of hand sanding, I gave it a satin finish. Front scale was split at wedge pin so repaired. Scales were sanded, soaked in neatsfoot oil for a few weeks, then buffed and polished but taken back to satin. Very heavy for it's size, one of my fave razors for sure.
Hope I've posted this in the correct area. Thanks for looking, Mick.

20220925_085134.jpg
20220925_085441.jpg

DSCN1051.JPG
DSCN1063.JPG

Mick! Exemplary work you’ve done here! It really turned out great! Did you achieve your satin finish by reverting back to a lower grit of sand paper or another method? I’ve used a scotch brite pad to create a satin finish on some softer steels and I’ve polished a rougher finish with buffing wheels too.

Keep it up and I hope you’re healing well!

Thanks Matt. This was done with a scotch brite wheel on the buffer. Sometimes I will use a mix of sand paper and the buffer. I've tried lots of different methods to achieve a nice satin finish. This old Sheffield steel took a nice even satin finish.

Looks good! What did you use to condition the scales?
These scales were left to soak in neatsfoot oil for around three weeks. (In a warm sunny place if possible) It hydrates the horn, brings it back to a nice smooth, pliable feel. Prior to this soaking, lots of sanding and all glue repairs were done.

Back