The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Thinking about getting a Badger brush

I have a love hate with my pure badger ... mostly hate. Unfortunately the Chinese brushes have a long wait time, I ordered my Yaqi over a month ago. Stirling, Maggards or WSC should be able to take care of you with a good budget friendly brush.
What Yaqi did you order? They have some great handle choices and are a great value.

In my most recent research (Google just a few minutes ago) I read that some use hair shampoo and hair conditioner on badger brushes. Is this a good suggestion? Maybe like once a month or so?
No. Just sayin... Warm water rinse while you are shaving and when you do the final rinse, palm lather the residual soap out. Light squeeze of the excess water and than a cold water rinse. Light squeeze of that excess water and than towel dry as mentioned earlier with your synths...last forever they will.

Last edited:
Only because of Venessa. I used to live in shambles before her. Can you tell I'm in the doghouse???
Mi guapo hermano...remember what we discussed...”Venesita mi amor”...you’ll be just fine. However, that you have found the one that raised you from the shambles so early...that can never be forgotten or under appreciated mi hermano!

Mi guapo hermano...remember what we discussed...”Venesita mi amor”...you’ll be just fine. However, that you have found the one that raised you from the shambles so early...that can never be forgotten or under appreciated mi hermano!
There was no way "Venessita mi amor" was going to work this time! But you're right, my also guapo hermano! I owe her a debt of gratitude.

I’ve been dipping back into the world of badgers after a long hiatus. I also was disillusioned with them after growing to dislike an AOS brush. Comparatively, the very first synthetic I picked up felt nicer, lathered better, and was easier to get along with. Finally, thanks to a couple better than average badger knots, I’m enjoying them again!

I think synthetics have the upper hand in most qualities such as ease of use and maintenance, while badgers, even great ones, excel over synthetics only in face feel.

In general, I’ve observed that any new badger brushes for less than $50, you’re kind of rolling the dice on how “good” the knot will be; $50-$100 will generally get you into the “good enough” tier of badgers where some folks stay, happy that the knots are good enough to not need to shell out for better; then $150+ seems to get you into the higher end tier, where it’s generally expected that you’re getting near perfection when it comes to a badger, along with a certain uniqueness in handle. Now, there are some exceptions if you have a highly regarded hobbyist like @Smattayu and the ability to source yourself a knot from TGN or Whipped Dog (@CBLindsay actually talked about this a little in his last shave video).

The BST in a trusted forum will be your best bang for your buck for well-regraded name brand brushes, even though it will be slightly used. Alternatively I might recommend waiting and working with a hobbyist like @Smattayu or @Graydog to get your handle and do some research on sourcing our own knot from a reputable vendor, which should save you some cash over buying name brand.

I’ve been dipping back into the world of badgers after a long hiatus. I also was disillusioned with them after growing to dislike an AOS brush. Comparatively, the very first synthetic I picked up felt nicer, lathered better, and was easier to get along with. Finally, thanks to a couple better than average badger knots, I’m enjoying them again!

I think synthetics have the upper hand in most qualities such as ease of use and maintenance, while badgers, even great ones, excel over synthetics only in face feel.

In general, I’ve observed that any new badger brushes for less than $50, you’re kind of rolling the dice on how “good” the knot will be; $50-$100 will generally get you into the “good enough” tier of badgers where some folks stay, happy that the knots are good enough to not need to shell out for better; then $150+ seems to get you into the higher end tier, where it’s generally expected that you’re getting near perfection when it comes to a badger, along with a certain uniqueness in handle. Now, there are some exceptions if you have a highly regarded hobbyist like @Smattayu and the ability to source yourself a knot from TGN or Whipped Dog (@CBLindsay actually talked about this a little in his last shave video).

The BST in a trusted forum will be your best bang for your buck for well-regraded name brand brushes, even though it will be slightly used. Alternatively I might recommend waiting and working with a hobbyist like @Smattayu or @Graydog to get your handle and do some research on sourcing our own knot from a reputable vendor, which should save you some cash over buying name brand.
Well said, Chris!

They’re like potato chips. No one can have just one!
Ahhhhhh, you just keep that to yourself! Bad enough I pause your videos JUST to see the rack of Paladins! :p I have the one I want...

There are others who are a whole lot more into the whole brush scene, I like what I like but don’t tend to go crazy buying brushe or feel the need to get more. I kicked myself early on for piddling around with the $10-$15 badgers I would find on Amazon or eBay, once I found Whipped Dog I learned a better quality badger would last longer and performed better. At the time WD was ground breaking but now there are a number of “artisan” makers and importers of what amounts to the same knots WD offered us. Now we have access to basic quality across the spectrum but that doesn’t mean every knot delivers the same experiences ...the size, depth of setting and size of hole relative to knot size all impact performance.

In general, I think the biggest reason badger, boar and synthetic lather differently is how they hold and deliver water. Synthetics are pretty consistent from brand, size and setting AND have a very desirable (maybe scientifically designed-purpose driven) way of holding and delivering water that results in an ideal lather almost every time. Boar has a distinct way holding water once hydrated, it can be a lot like a synthetic with the added benefit of being course enough to scrub up extra soap from a hard puck. If you have a nice, dense boar that you’ve become accustomed to it might be your best friend. Badger brushes will have a character all their own, I found the premium brushes like the SV are magically constructed to check all the boxes, easy to load with consistent and predictable water/hydration properties, scrubby yet soft all that and a bag of chips. I’ve been lucky enough to get my hands on a few custom26mm and 30mm knots for handles I’ve made for myself but I couldn’t tell you how I recognized they were going to make me happy.

There is more to a great brush than the knot though, a great brush feels great in your hand and looks beautiful to you. Balance and beauty are where an artisan shows their skill. It’s funny how the little things come together and make a brush GREAT and how a great brush makes everything feel so wonderful.

There is more to a great brush than the knot though, a great brush feels great in your hand and looks beautiful to you. Balance and beauty are where an artisan shows their skill. It’s funny how the little things come together and make a brush GREAT and how a great brush makes everything feel so wonderful.
Which is why I have so many Paladin Brushes!

Back