The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The White Whale...

Somnos

In the Arms of Angels
IN MEMORIAM
Veteran
Well I have been hunting a certain "white whale" for a while now and I joke on and off about bagging one for good coin as opposed to the insane coin these go for. Actually I joked about it as recently as last week. So I was looking through a certain not so famous buy and sell site (kijiji) and came across a very simple ad..."Old Gillette Aristocrat Razor" - "Old razor in case" $50...but there were no pics in the ad so I emailed the owner and asked him nicely for some pics...I mean why not? So he sent me two and I fell out of the chair..."There she blows!!!" Well I asked for a few more and he obliged. Asked if everything was straight and it all opened and closed and sure enough he said yes indeed. Well, sure I will take a 34 Aristocrat for $50 CDN. It arrived last week after a couple of days in shipping, vendor is local. I got is out of the case and gave it a dawn bath starting with a nylon brush and progressing to a brass brush and was amazed to see that the plating is in very nice shape. The underside of the guard looks new. Finished the top with a light Flitz polish and done. She opens smooth as can be and she is straight all over. Needless to say I am thrilled and though I am a proponent of having razors plated, this one won't be going to Back Roads Gold...LOL. Now I need a blade bank and that I will ask Chris for....

Well there you go. I would like to find a British/English version of that same razor but had I run across that one I would have been as excited as you. That’s a wonderful razor.

Beautiful acquisition! Most appealing handle style of Aristocrat ever made!

I hope it serves you well!

OMG!!! What a great find And what a great price!!! Congratulations!!!

Honestly I though I was getting punked by King Gillette himself when I saw the pics! It was the SOTD today and it was glorious loaded up with a fresh GSB. Could have gone for a new Blue Blade because I have several unopened and sealed tucks but why risk it. Anyway, thanks for the thumbs up she is a looker for an 84 year old!

That there is a purdy razor for sure.

Am I the only Heretic here that thinks it is a beautiful razor but has zero desire to own one?

It would be nice to have, but it might only ever get used once, and then be on display for the rest of my life. Yea, with what some of those cost, I’m not likely a buyer either.

I'm in for $50, but not for what they normally go for. I tend not to like gold things, but with the barber pole handle it works for those and I like it.

Back