The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Stuff Nightmares Are Made of

So I found this fire victim. Poor little guy was all covered in soot and a touch of corrosion. I break out my Dremel and a brass brush and get to work. The black is being driven back and sure enough...it's silver plated. It's coming along nicely and I just know after a good polish this thing is going to shine like new besides a few small knicks and flea bites. Then I get to the head where the damage is the worst, and low and behold...the plating starts to flake.

o_O
nooo

So now the question is...to replate or no?

20191226_121220.jpg

I personally like stuff with character, but I think a good washing and replating might be in order.

Yeah, it's a Schick B1 Repeater. I should've mentioned that. The injector blades go in the handle, you push the head to the side, pull a lever at the bottom of the handle to load. Pretty cool.
Was the cartridge inside?

So almost done with it, just need to clean the cartridge and the inside of the handle. It looks good IMO. Unfortunately, the pitting and scratching on the head makes this a no-go for replating. I'm glad I was able to bring it back to life though.

I'll give some shots on how the razor works and a review of the shave here soon.

20191231_163259.jpg
20191231_162735.jpg
20191231_162654.jpg

So almost done with it, just need to clean the cartridge and the inside of the handle. It looks good IMO. Unfortunately, the pitting and scratching on the head makes this a no-go for replating. I'm glad I was able to bring it back to life though.

I'll give some shots on how the razor works and a review of the shave here soon.

View attachment 14160
View attachment 14161
View attachment 14162
Wow, you did a great resto! Looks like a totally different razor!

Interested to hear about the shave. That thing sure looks unwieldy.

Interested to hear about the shave. That thing sure looks unwieldy.

I've shaved with a C1 which is basically an open comb version of this one. They're...different. lol But once you get the angle down they're fun to shave with. But yes the bite can be nasty if you're not careful. Very large blade gap and the face is flat.

20191231_165826.jpg

I love how you brought that back to life, replete or not it looks great. I’ve nearly pulled the trigger (cool pun intended) on a few of those but I usually find something else of interest that pulls me away. One of these days I’ll end up with one and when I do I hope I can work half the magic you did...you have a real talent.

Great job on the restore. Is the pitting into the brass, or just the plating coming off? Personally, after all that work, I think leaving it the way it is just shows off your restoration skills. (y)

Back