The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Shave Journal of Nick from Long Island

Great shave and update!

I completely understand the WFH thing. I am doing it also and I am grateful for the option.

Great update, Nick. I would have mixed feelings too. I hate people, but I seem to get along just fine with my coworkers who are very like-minded. Hang in there, hombre.

Good report Nick!

My kids are completely at-home-learning. One is brand new to junior high and another is brand new to high school, but it just doesn’t seem like the same level of education is happening that should be. Plus they’re missing out on the various physical and social dramas of the settings. It’s just weird.

Good report Nick!

My kids are completely at-home-learning. One is brand new to junior high and another is brand new to high school, but it just doesn’t seem like the same level of education is happening that should be. Plus they’re missing out on the various physical and social dramas of the settings. It’s just weird.
There is no way the level of learning is anywhere near full in school teaching. But, these are the hands we have been dealt and we will have to help our children as much as we can!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post #5 - September 30, 2020
It is a rainy, dreary day in New York and the end of another month. For my entire professional working life (now going on 33 years), I have been shackled to billable hour requirements that start on day one of each month and end on the last day of the month. The billing requirements MUST be met by the end of the month; and the beginning of the month, it all starts anew! It is by far the worst aspect of my job. On the positive side, however, my group has been busy and we all count our blessings. I am in litigation and since March, the courts have shut down in NY. I thought by June I would have nothing to do, given the absence of court appearances, but, fortunately, I was able to continue to work on cases without going to court - just had to adapt to the times. (Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?)

After I graduated from law school in 1988, I began working with a law firm and remained with that firm until May of 2019. For years, it was a great place to work, but then it all changed in 2018. A new group of partners took over the reins and decided that their other partners were over paid. They began reducing "salaries" by simply not paying partners (me included) under the guise that the firm had no money. The stress became unbearable, never knowing when the next paycheck would be coming, yet having to pay monthly bills. By April 2019, I had enough and began looking for another firm. Fortunately, I was offered two good positions, chose one, and left the firm I had been with for 31 years.

The new firm was smaller than my old firm but had a nice group of people, from staff to attorneys. I did, however, have to commute to Manhattan once again (something I had not done for over 8 years) and that took a toll (2+ hours in trains and subways each way). In September of 2019, a few of my former partners left the old firm and joined a firm on Long Island. They called and asked if I would like to join them. So, after having spent 31 years at one law firm, I moved to my second law firm in 5 months. I started at my current firm o October 7, 2019, nearly a year ago. So far, so good! I hope it continues. I need to work another 10 years at least!

And that is more of my story......

Today's shave was excellent. We are fortunate to be wet shavers in these times. The products that are available are of very high quality. Oz Shaving Soap is a great performer. I really enjoy the scent of Yellow Brick Road: it is nice, fresh, and clean. For me, I love the way the Colonial General shaves. As with most AC razors, the razor can be "adjuster" by using different blades, i.e., if you want to tone down the shave, use a Kai Captain Titan Mild or a blade with a guard; or conversely, if you want to make the razor more "aggressive", you can use a Feather Pro or Super Pro blade. I have the Asylum Rx, which I also enjoy, but that razor (in my opinion) needs to be tone down and I only use mild blades in it. The Colonial General works best for me with sharper blades and today was no exception. Very easy and enjoyable shave.

I hope everyone has a great day today.

Nick

Attachments

• 9.30.20.jpg
    9.30.20.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 6
Great update Nick!

Man, I thought my commute 1 hour each way was bad. I’ll stop complaining now. Have a great day, in spite of the weather!

Thanks fo sharing more of your story Nick! Bummer that your first firm took such a turn like that though.

I won’t bother to bore you with my arduous 15 minute commute to work I guess 😜

Great shave!

Nice story, thanks for sharing, and glad you found a way out of that 2 hour commute, especially in these times.

For a guy who writes for a living, I am not so good at journaling! It has been nearly 21 months since my last entry here.

Is it just me or does time seem to speed up as you age? I look back and wonder where the years have gone. I also seem to jump from one “hobby” to another, yet the wet shaving experience stays strong, even though some preferences have changed. A few years ago, I used a straight razor for nearly every shave and had over 50 razors. Now, I rarely use a “conventional” straight razor and only have two.

I have not yet totally broken the soap purchasing habit, even though I have enough soap for several lifetimes. The volume of high quality offerings is just too tough to resist. And, lately, I have fallen into the fragrance world.

I started buying some full bottles, often based on soap scents I liked, such as Diptyque Oud Paleo and Zoologist Bee. Smartly (I think), I started buying 5ml sample bottles from decant sellers on FB or Split Scent. (Yes, now I have a drawer full of small fragrance bottles. 5ml will last quite a few sprays.)

With the nest becoming emptier, as our oldest four children live on their own with significant others or spouses (1 married, 2 engaged), and a struggling 15-year old at home, my wife decided it was time for a dog! So, three weeks ago, a new addition to the family arrived. Here’s Daisy, a Cavapoo.

I think I am doomed. Here I sit, typing a journal entry, drinking Elijah Craig Toasted Barrell, and getting ready to walk young Daisy for her nightly pee. This puppy nearly pees as much as a 58-year old drinking man!

Cheers Cadre and have a nice evening!

Nick IMG_1105.jpg

Back