The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The NEW Forum - Give us your Feedback -Due 04.19.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
In preparation for an upcoming show pleas let us know your thoughts good or bad, and we will try to address

I'd been checking TSC off and on after watching Dagwoodz videos. I didn't join at first, the Discourse format was hard for me to parse. But I did eventually join, about 2 weeks before the update, because I like what you all are about. Still I didn't participate much just because it was hard to work out what was going on.

Nothing but good to say when the new update arrived, best shave site going now. The participation and attitude of everyone is just astounding. Only thing I don't like is not being able to edit posts, but that's not a big deal.

The update really added a lot to TSC. If I had to guess, I actually think the switch attracted new members. I am all about the camaraderie here at TSC and would participate n matter what. But I think the ease of use in the new software has made it so much easy to view and respond. I know at the other place there was always talk about the "thumbs up" feature on the posts and how it would kill conversation. I do not think it has curtailed conversation here at all. Sometimes you may not want to respond to something...but you want to show that you enjoyed it. The thumbs up is perfect for that. And the fact that this software is highly customizable just makes this an incredible platform!

And did I hear you say...upcoming show? 🤗

I think the new software upgrade is Amazing! It's the best and easiest to use of ANY of the traditional wet shaving forums. There are features here that I have wanted on other forums, and that makes the experience here top notch. I know you guys are striving to make it even better, and I know you'll be rolling out updates in the future that absolutely will. Thanks for all your efforts!

I find something new that I like about the update everyday! The only thing that I'm still trying to figure out is the best way to keep up on all the new posts. With the old format, I used to get an email notification every time someone responded to a thread I created or posted in. I'm sure I could make that happen again, but I like not receiving 142 emails a day lol. So I'm just trying to find a system here that works best for me. But otherwise it's awesome! One of the coolest features is the little arrow on the bottom right corner of the screen that takes you back to the top of the page you're on. Super convenient!

My biggest complaint, which is minor, is that I use my phone mostly, to vie the site. As such I have a shortcut on my home screen to open up the forum. The problem is every time I click it, it opens up a brand new instance of the forum on Safari. Not a huge, deal, but after a couple days I go into Safari and realize that I have like 30 instances of the forum all open, and I need to go in and close them all. In the old forum, there were two different ways (links) to access the forum, and one of them behaved the same way, but the other only re-opened the same instance, which was also nice because it took you right back to where you were before. I liked that. I realize this is probably just because I'm accessing a website bookmark and not actually accessing an App. So it's probably just one of those things you gotta deal with.

I used to get an email notification every time someone responded to a thread I created or posted in.
That's all in your settings, old forum and new.

One of the coolest features is the little arrow on the bottom right corner of the screen that takes you back to the top of the page you're on. Super convenient!
I don't have that....

That's all in your settings, old forum and new.
Yeah I'm sure I could go turn on email notifications, but for the sake of my phone's battery life I'm trying to figure out a way to leave it off lol

I don't have that....
If you're at the bottom of a page and start to scroll up a small gray box with a with arrow pointing up will appear next to the vertical scroll bar. If you click on it, it takes you to the top of the page you're on.

I've gotten used to it and it seems to work pretty slick. I too like the thumbs up and the ability to pick a couple other emojis to respond with. And I used the "what's new" button a lot. On my phone the What's New is always on the bottom, so I can read down through a thread and the click it to go to something else. On the computer it's only at the top.

The one thing I wish were different would be the profile status updates. In theory they are a good thing. A place to post something other than your SOTD that might be more visible, but they are off to the side and not in the main flow so I'm always forgetting they are there. So I would like it if they could be more prominent somehow. Or replaced with just a live chat as was suggested prior to the change.

Love the new site - ability to use some decent looking emojis, react to posts, and the in-forum notification system. It’s all very convenient.

My one complaint right now might be the navigation items that get removed if you aren’t viewing the site with your phone a certain orientation.

My biggest complaint, which is minor, is that I use my phone mostly, to vie the site. As such I have a shortcut on my home screen to open up the forum. The problem is every time I click it, it opens up a brand new instance of the forum on Safari. Not a huge, deal, but after a couple days I go into Safari and realize that I have like 30 instances of the forum all open, and I need to go in and close them all. In the old forum, there were two different ways (links) to access the forum, and one of them behaved the same way, but the other only re-opened the same instance, which was also nice because it took you right back to where you were before. I liked that. I realize this is probably just because I'm accessing a website bookmark and not actually accessing an App. So it's probably just one of those things you gotta deal with.
Interesting that the old site addresses behaved differently, I would have thought that was only a phone software thing. Why don’t you just use the tabs?

I don't have that....
It doesn’t pop up when you’re scrolling?

Why don’t you just use the tabs?
Tabs? What are you talking about?

It doesn’t pop up when you’re scrolling?
OK, now I see it..... But I'd like that to not disappear when I'm at the bottom of the page, since that's where I'm likely to use it. Is that on mobile too? Because I hate having to scroll up all the time on mobile.

OK, now I see what you mean... I do use that. That's what I have to do to go in and close the 50 open TSC tabs I have!

I had the same problem but I decided to use Chrome (on the iphone and ipad) and it keeps a single tab going for me. Of course I can't place an icon on the home screen but I just open chrome and there it is. ...it IS rather exciting to open safari and find a months worth of open tabs for the forum. I guess if you are using a fancy iphone you might be able to switch between all those tabs laike magic and have super navigation powers.

Okay...so I do have a couple of things that I would change about the new digs. But honestly, these are so minor it's not even funny!

Text Color: I hate our options. They are muted and in some cases almost soft pastel. If I wan't a bright option to get someone's attention...it's not really there. I would prefer more vibrant colors.

The other thing is when you hit the "What's New" button you go to all the threads with new posts. This is great. My problem is that half the page is occupied with the latest profile posts. I feel that if 2/3 - 3/4 of the page were the "What's New" threads, some threads might get more participation before they are pushed down below visibility.

Just my two cents.

I feel that if 2/3 - 3/4 of the page were the "What's New" threads, some threads might get more participation before they are pushed down below visibility.
Don't hit what's new.... hit he drop down menu next to it, and hit new posts..... problem solved.

OK, now I see what you mean... I do use that. That's what I have to do to go in and close the 50 open TSC tabs I have!
I just go to that and click on my TSC tab when I want to see it.

Don't hit what's new.... hit he drop down menu next to it, and hit new posts..... problem solved.

YEah I new someone was going to say this. But I don't wanna! I want to hit the what's new and start reading. I don't want to hit an arrow, look for an option and then hit new posts...that takes like...I don't know...1.73 seconds. That's 1.73 second of my life that I can't get back. And if I have to do that 10 times a day that means I have wasted 17.3 seconds a day...or 2 minutes a week...or 8 and a half minutes a month...or almost 1 hour and 45 minutes each year! You know what I can do with an hour and 45 minutes? I don't know either! But I want it back! 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back