The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Empire Shave of the South

Happy Monday, y'all. Today's shave:

Razor: Gillette Fatboy set at 3
Blade: Persona Lab Blue
Soap: CBL Poseidon
AS: Thayer's witch hazel
EDT: Primitive Man (silly name for a Sauvage knock-off)

I know people have strong opinions on knock-off colognes--"certainly an $8 knock off at Walmart isn't going to smell like anything but a poor chemical version of name brand scents and it'll wear off in 10 minutes." I won't lie--I used to be in that camp. But one day, not wanting to spend $100 on an EDT, I read some reviews on Belcam and decided "why not? At worst, I'm out $8." So I bought it, then put the Dior Sauvage on one wrist and Belcam on the other. Now I'm certain there are people who can tell the difference, but for me the difference is small and only noticeable when the scents are right next to each other; and the Belcam actually had better longevity. The next day I only wore the knock-off and my wife thought I was wearing Sauvage--so win for my pocket book. The only issue with knock-offs is you only find the most popular scents, so you won't be unique at all. But most of those popular scents fall into the "office friendly, won't offend anyone" category, which is what I want at work, anyway. Not everything I have is a knock-off, but some of the really nice, unique scents out there (Jaipur by Boucheron, PdP No. 63, anything Guerlain) are still much cheaper than the mall scents.

Jaipur is awesome! Guerlain has a number of home runs in my book as well. I wish more houses would follow suit...though o get it of quality of ingredients is truly driving up overhead, I don’t think that’s always the case.

Shave of the Day:

Razor: Above the Tie SE1 (aluminum version)
Blade: Feather AC Pro
AS: Clubman Pinaud

I really like the Above the Tie SE1--every time I use it, I wonder why I don't pull it out more often as the results are fantastic. I guess it comes down to too many razors and not enough time. I've accepted that most of my razors are part of the collection/hobby aspect and I can't use all of them.

I often considered getting and SE1 because of how much I loved shaving with the General v1 Brass...never could pull the trigger though. I still hold hopes that one day I’ll find a good deal on the General!

Around 2:45 this morning, the leading edge of hurricane Zeta hit Atlanta and the rain fell and winds blew until about 7:30. Winds were constant at 30-40 MPH, and they said there were gusts up to 70 mph. So I obviously didn't get too much sleep during all of that. I have a neighbor a couple of streets over with a tree on his house this morning. I have a friend with a 15 foot hole in his roof where an 80 foot oak landed. His neighborhood was wrecked--his neighbor had 3 trees down and there were trees and branches everywhere. So I'm feeling fortunate today that the worst of it for me was lack of sleep. For my fellow southerners, I hope all y'all stayed safe and dry and don't have too much clean up today.

Today's shave:
Brush: Omega boar
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
AS: Clubman Pinaud

Grateful that you’re all right! Living with those storms is such a foreign concept for us out West 😵

Back