The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Empire Shave of the South

Bronco

Jr. Shave Member
I've been kicking around here for about a month and decided to follow the crowd and start a journal. For those unaware, the Empire State of the South is Georgia--home sweet home. Welcome to the home of Coca Cola, Delta Airlines, peaches, pecans, cotton, the oldest public university in the country (UGA), and of course--good old fashioned southern hospitality. I've lived here for the past three years (came from Arizona), but I love it here and wouldn't mind retiring in North Georgia, or one of the Carolina's.

I'll start with some background on my shave history. My dad used electric razors as far as I remember, so I started shaving with an old Remington he wasn't using. I quickly learned electric razors burned my neck (I tried some Norelco and Braun razors over the years, too). So I mostly did what I'll call modern wet shaving (Gillette, Schick, Edge Gel, etc.). I pretty much tried every cartridge and was generally happy with the results. But when the Fusion came along, I could no longer justify the expense and started to look for something different. I did some research on the internet, learned about safety razors, and bought a EJ DE89. I'd love to say it was love at first shave, but it wasn't. My neck was a bloody mess, and no matter how many tutorials I watched, I couldn't get it right. So I put it away and went back to Gillette, but less than a year later became determined to figure out the safety razor. It wasn't until I read something about how zero pressure will likely feel like negative pressure if you were coming from years of cartridge shaving. Suddenly, things clicked and the DE razor was working for me. Long story short--like many in this fine hobby--one razor became two, and then they started multiplying like rabbits. I currently have somewhere around 40 razors. Modern, vintage, DE, SE, shavette, straight--you name it, I've probably tried it. My current favorites are the OneBlade Genesis, Portland Razor Co. 6.8 (Spanish point), Feather AC and Razorock Mamba 70. But I also love my Gillette Slim and Fatboy, and the old Schick Injectors are beautiful in their simplicity. I try to keep the number of soaps/creams I have at 10 or less--and I'm currently at 10 so I need to use up a couple before buying more. Right now I'm using Tabac, PdP, Proraso, Captain's Choice, Stirling, and CBL.

I'm a little odd in the sense that I get my absolute closest shaves using a straight for the first pass (WTG) and a second pass with a DE or SE (ATG). 2 passes and maybe a touch up here or there is it for me. I always shave right after I get out of the shower, and that works fine for my prep.

I may elaborate more about myself in later posts--I'll see how this journal works for me.

Today's shave was:
CBL Poseidon soap
Feather AC (first pass), Gillette Fatboy (set to 3 for second pass)
Clubman Pinaud AS

You're off to a great start! Welcome to the journals! I look forward to reading your entries.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, y'all, for the encouragement.

Today marks day 2 of the journal. I was looking forward to a leisurely shave to start the week, but it was not meant to be. At 3:00 this morning, I was wide awake for some reason--so I tossed and turned for about an hour before drifting off again. But I hadn't set my alarm, and rolled over to look at the clock a little after 7:00 and had to rush to shower, shave, and be ready for work. So today's shave was quick and easy:

Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Blade: Personna lab blue
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Post shave: Witch hazel and PdP No. 63 EDT

The Mamba with either a Personna or Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow is such a quick, effortless shave. I barely feel the blade, but results are always near BBS.

Hopefully tomorrow I get up on time, get a quick run in, then have a more relaxed shave.

Day 3.

I woke up on time today and had time to go for a morning run (3 miles on treadmill) and ample time for a straight razor shave. The PRC razor I have is really great--6/8 Spanish point; super smooth. My first straight was a TI, and I sold it because I like the PRC so much more. It's one of the older ones before they changed the steel, so I can't compare it to what they currently sell.

Razor: PRC
Soap: CBL Poseidon
Strop: 25 times on the linen and 25 times on leather
Thayers witch hazel and PdP No. 63 EDT

Good run! Is that an average distance for you when you do? I don’t run at all lol 😂

Since @GearNoir asked about running, I'll tell you about one of my other hobbies. Most of my runs are 3-6 miles and I run 4 or 5 times a week and cycle 2 or 3 times a week. If I'm training for a longer distance, then my mileage goes up accordingly. I've run 5 marathons (Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, and St. George, Utah twice), and I don't even know how many half marathons. One of my bucket list items is to run a marathon or half-marathon at Disney World. I was finally registered for the Star Wars half marathon last April, and it was cancelled 3 weeks before scheduled. Then, over the summer, my sisters convinced me to register for the Princess half marathon with them this coming February, but it was just cancelled a couple of week ago. Oh, well--maybe someday.

Today I shaved with the OneBlade Genesis. I know there are some strong opinions about the razor, so I'm going to explain my experience. I first learned about OneBlade because I have some Valet AutoStrop razors, and one day the blades were no longer available. I did a little digging and saw this new $400 razor selling Feather SE blades to go with it for $1/blade--and the advertising said the blade had to be tossed after every shave! I scoffed--who would pay $400 for a razor, then toss a $1 blade after every shave? People with more money than common sense, of course! Anyway, I mocked the whole concept for years, but earlier this year, OneBlade advertised the Core razor, with 10 blades and free shipping, for only $20. By this time, the OneBlade Genesis no longer sold for $400, and the blades were back down to $0.50 to $0.70 each, and a well-known wet shaving YouTuber (mantic59) had become a huge proponent of OneBlade. So I decided, what the heck, I'm not really out anything trying it for $20 and placed my order.

The package arrived quickly and I gave it a try. First off, the Core is a polymer head (PPS to be exact, for those unfamiliar with it, it's the same polymer used to make "plastic" car engine parts; I work for a polymer company, so I can explain more if anyone is interested). The razor felt good, and the results blew me away as I was getting zero-irritation BBS shaves that still felt smooth into the late afternoon. I'd never had BBS shaves that lasted that long. Several weeks later, the Genesis went on sale for $199, so I upgraded. The stainless steel Genesis is beautifully engineered and is a work of art. I sent the Core I bought to my brother (who also uses DE razors), and he told me recently he's also fallen in love with it and is looking to upgrade to either a Hybrid or Genesis.

To answer the questions I've seen most:
  • Do the blades really only last for 1 shave? Surprisingly, the quality of the Feather FHS-10 blades isn't the same as other Feather blades. There have been a couple of blades that only lasted one shave, but I've learned if I dry and flip them after each use, one blade normally lasts me a week, and I've had a couple of blades last 2 weeks. I still don't understand why such a thick SE blade doesn't last longer (AC blades last me 20 shaves, on average)
  • Can you despine GEM blades and use them instead? Yes, but I've never been interested to try it because you also have to notch it properly. I've watched videos on how to do it, and it seems like more hassle than it's worth.
  • Does it shave like a cartridge? The Core's polymer head does feel a little like a cartridge; I much prefer the stainless steel head. The pivot isn't really noticeable to me while I'm shaving since I still use light pressure allowing the weight of the razor to do the work, but on the chin and jaw line I know it engages from time to time because I hear it click when I lift it off my skin.
  • Why not just use the same Feather blades in an AutoStrop you can find anywhere for $10? I have multiple Valet's and tried them before getting the OneBlade. There is no comparison as the AutoStrop requires a lot of concentration to avoid a harsh shave. The comfort of the OneBlade using the same Feather blades is a completely different experience.
  • Does it count as traditional wet shaving? I don't get caught up in the semantics of this. To me it combines the best of traditional wet shaving with modern design and manufacturing capabilities. I can't say enough good about what they've done here, so my strong opinion went from scoffing to embracing.
  • Any criticisms? Yes--I don't like that OneBlade set up a deal with Feather to have exclusive rights to sell the FHS-10 blades in North America. Competition is good for consumers, so monopolistic distribution models bother me--and even with OneBlade lowering the price of the blades on the subscription model, they still cost more than what I was paying on eBay to get those blades before this distribution deal.
Anyway, thanks to those of you who made it through this long post. Today's shave:

Razor: OneBlade Genesis w/Feather FHS-10 blade
Soap: Proraso Red
AS: Thayer's Witch Hazel (unscented; alcohol free)
EDT: PdP No. 63

Wow, that's quite the review. I've considered this from time to time, but always the blade cost stops me.

I wonder if the reviews stating the blades are 'one use' are from people with wirey hair like mine? I know I cannot pull off 100 shaves on a DE blade, like some have touted.

Again, thanks for the awesome review!

Man, bummer the Disney themed runs have been getting canceled! Maybe you dodged a mark against your man card, not having to run in the Princess though lol (just kidding) 😜

Great review on the razor. The blade exclusivity thing is a bit of a turn off but then again, at least it’s a well known brand. Great that it’s working for ya!

Didn't post yesterday--I believe I used the OneBlade and CBL soap.

This morning I did a 5 mile run in my relatively new Altra Torin's. Next Saturday I'm registered for an in-person 10k, so I'm anxious to see if it's actually still going to happen. On the one hand, they haven't sent out a "this race has been changed to a virtual event" e-mail. On the other hand, they haven't sent out any e-mails, so I'll just show up at the packet pick up on Thursday if I don't hear anything from them.

Today's shave:
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Cream: AoS Sandalwood
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud

Next Saturday I'm registered for an in-person 10k, so I'm anxious to see if it's actually still going to happen. On the one hand, they haven't sent out a "this race has been changed to a virtual event" e-mail.
What does a virtual 10k look like? 🤔 Done on a treadmill?

What does a virtual 10k look like? 🤔 Done on a treadmill?
Can be wherever you want--most people just use a GPS watch to submit their time. The Peachtree Road Race on Thanksgiving day requires everyone to submit a GPS time through the Atlanta Track Club app.

Sunday morning shave allowed me more time, so I did the full shave with my PRC straight (skipping the follow up pass with a DE or SE like a normally do). Overall, decent shave, but not BBS by any stretch. But that's OK--I'm always pleased when I've gotten generally good results with the straight.

Razor: PRC Spanish point 6/8
Soap: PdP No. 63
AS/EDT: Thayer's witch hazel followed by PdP No. 63 EDT

Spanish point hm? Those things scare me a bit lol. 😅

Do you mute your points?

Spanish point hm? Those things scare me a bit lol. 😅

Do you mute your points?
I chose the Spanish tip because I liked the look--but I didn't have to mute the points because PRC made them already muted. But, yeah--some Spanish points look pretty scary to me, too. Like they will stab you if you make the slightest wrong move. I just grabbed this picture off the Internet--mine is the same blade, but I have black scales.

1603647793161.png

Back