The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Classics

Great list.

I'd forgotten about Giorgio Beverly Hills, that was a big one in So Cal back in the day.
Gray Flannel was my scent as a young man, it was such a departure from all the powerhouse frags, it made me feel grown up and mature.

Nice list! Some of those sound quite appealing...and can’t argue with most of those prices either!

I am not a frag guy and haven't dipped my toes into that pond, but Z14 was the only cologne my father ever had or wore. I would have never been able to tell you what it was without seeing that bottle but I remember sneaking into their bathroom and throwing some (read, way too much) on before a couple middle school dances!

4711 - Love it. Very light though, and doesn't last very long.

Z-14 - Tried it, did not like.
Grey Flannel - Can't stand this stuff. gives me a headache.

Haven't tried (or heard of) the rest.

4711 - Love it. Very light though, and doesn't last very long.

Z-14 - Tried it, did not like.
Grey Flannel - Can't stand this stuff. gives me a headache.

Haven't tried (or heard of) the rest.
4711 doesn't get enough use because its so light and I have the exact same reaction to Grey Flannel...

I recall seeing some of these frags in the cologne section.

4711- I recall liking the scent a lot. But I have never purchased it.

Grey Flannel was a nice scent. But I didn't like it enough to purchase a bottle.

Z-14 was about the same reaction that I had with Grey Flannel.

Georgia Beverley Hill's is Patchouli bomb. As mentioned when you wear it. Go light on the trigger. 2 squirts and you could smell it on you all day long. Others noticed when you walked into the room as well. 😃

I bought a bottle of Caron Pour Homme about 7 years ago blind. The description sounded good to me. But it was not what I was expecting at all. Traded it off after giving it only 1 try.

This guys review of Giorgio Beverly Hills is hilarious :ROFLMAO:

His take is quite convincing, but I've watched/read some others that indicate a "barbershop"/"powder"/"fresh laundry" aroma WITH patchouli. I'm not a real fan of barbershop or too much powder. Thoughts?

Okay, I included a sample of Grey Flannel in a sample purchase from MicroPerfumes and I gotta say I enjoy it. Floral bomb to open but settles down with some ginger and musk that I could definitely see enjoying even more during the cold months. Wife was not a fan though. With how cheap bottles are at Ross it might just find its way into the den some day!

You'll have to let me know how the Eau De is. I'm assuming a little lighter and brighter!
A much more fresh linnen, sweet florals, light woody dry down. It goes almost straight to a skin scent. I think it is a good hot weather feshen up. I would pair it up with a Bay Rum shave.

Please put a review, and tempt me. Hope the modern stuff is still good.

I got my bottle of Giorgio Beverly Hills for men....

The quick one liner; this is a powerhouse of resinous patchouli and bold woody spice merged together with waxen honey and floral notes. BUY!

This scent is certainly as many have described, and I love it. A serious beast in both the projection and silage departments. The overall feeling is of outdoor, herbvasious, woods, glued together with a refined gentlemanly sweet and fragrant powder. It would be like wearing a tuxedo to a bonfire, bold and noticeable with a unique style that somehow just works. If Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve was an eau de toilette, this would be it.

@ksblazer thank you.

Back