The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Cheapest Brush You Own

beginish

The Dr. Who of the TSC
It’s fun talking about the higher end badgers and synths, but I rarely find them to be the work horses in the den. I usually look down and see a more pedestrian, modest brush in hand most days. I’ve had some dirt cheap Omega boars, but they’ve since found better homes. Nothing wrong with them, they just didn’t wow me.

For me, the Semogue 1470 with its unassuming plain wood handle and undyed boar knot is an absolute favorite. It’s so broken in that it’s super soft on the face and the perfect size for face lathering.

We need pics !!!! I have my 1st brush bought back in 1979. An unmarked Burma Shave Boar. Don't use it often but can't let it go and enjoy it sometimes. Very soft now.

I have not. I waffle between thinking it deserves a review and thinking its going to rip my face up for real.

I have not. I waffle between thinking it deserves a review and thinking its going to rip my face up for real.
By the looks of it, I’d say the latter. But if you aren’t going to use it to lather, does it really count as a cheap brush? If so, I’m going to post my 10 cent paint brush!

By the looks of it, I’d say the latter. But if you aren’t going to use it to lather, does it really count as a cheap brush? If so, I’m going to post my 10 cent paint brush!
Well it was bought with that intent. Then it got it.

Nicely done! Not too shabby with the dry pasta noodle brush.
1f602.png

watched the vid. and it appears you can somewhat lather with a keyboard duster. Good to know!

The cheapest brush I own is my first brush. An $11 Omega boar. I have it somewhere still...but some of the plastic cracked around the knot. It's still functional...just not pretty. I need to pull it out someday. Actually...now that I think of it...I'm not sure I have it anymore...I think I lost it in the flood a couple of years ago. So I think that my cheapest brush i have now would be either my Omega Pro or a RazoRock Synthetic. Both excellent brushes in their own rights.

Back