The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Chaos Thread

When I visited Ireland in 1997, I drank the beer based on the town or city I was in…of course you could get Guinness everywhere…..but in Cork it was Murphys, and Beamish was the equivalent Pabst Blue Ribbon……a working man’s stout.

I love Cider…..but was informed by the locals (staying only at Bed & Breakfast - basically in those days back then - an Air B&B with the family still in the house - paid off in droves to get to know the real Ireland)……I was informed that Cider was what the college kids would drink - the Mad Dog 20/20 or jungle juice…..still in all -it was a favorite of mine, a poor man’s champagne!
I am very fond of my Celtic brothers and sisters.

My old Irish grandfather used to prefer Mackesons, an English milk stout, to most other stouts, and had a crate of it hidden away. i could have a bottle on visits as long as i never told my mother. Grandparents and grand-children are natural allies as they share a common enemy!
Out of the ones you can easily get, Murphy's is the best by a mile; it's really gentle and not bitter in the same way that Guinness is.
At university, there was one pub that sold it and they were packed out everyday.
When i worked on building sites they were euphemistically called a 'liquid lunch'.
Guinness with lager is a 'snakebite' but with cider it's a poor man's 'black velvet' and one pours it the same way. Some pubs refuse to serve them at all.

Some of the best ciders are unsurprisingly from the south of England. Weston in Hereford makes 'Old Rosie' and that is a very strong cloudy one that i'd drink at any place that sold it. In Cornwall they sell their own in plastic flagons and you can see through time. Proper farm/orchard stuff.
Of course, other places have tried to get onboard and Canada even has a brewer called Dicken's Cider. You can search that website yourself but i like the wordplay.
Other than the rubbish that is rubbing alcohol rebranded as cider that some young, poor fool will drink, one of the smoothest and strongest was Brodies, which was about 9% and that's a lot.

T

i may be wrong but is the $72 because that's all they have left to spend because of rising costs in rents, mortgages, etc?

T

Check out their income tax rates!

T
Yup - that is true - and while no society is perfect - I pay a lot of taxes and I don’t have access to free healthcare, college education - while at the same roads still have potholes 😂 I’m guess the Danes are betting on a different style of life balance.

Last edited:
i'm not sure if it's the same in Denmark today, though i suspect it is, but i knew a couple that lived there about 20 years ago and they thought it was fabulous - sure the tax rate was high by American standards even then, but like a lot of Europe you paid nothing when you visited the doctor and so on. Paternity leave - imagine that!

He was Irish and she was Swedish and they lived there for about 8 years before they moved to England. Since he and i would attend horse racing meets, where he would lose rather more than he wanted most of the time, his wife came to disapprove of me for chauffeuring him there!

As for American healthcare; it doesn't take a lot of research to compare the cost with life expectancy and see that Houston, we have a problem.

T

i'm not sure if it's the same in Denmark today, though i suspect it is, but i knew a couple that lived there about 20 years ago and they thought it was fabulous - sure the tax rate was high by American standards even then, but like a lot of Europe you paid nothing when you visited the doctor and so on. Paternity leave - imagine that!

He was Irish and she was Swedish and they lived there for about 8 years before they moved to England. Since he and i would attend horse racing meets, where he would lose rather more than he wanted most of the time, his wife came to disapprove of me for chauffeuring him there!

As for American healthcare; it doesn't take a lot of research to compare the cost with life expectancy and see that Houston, we have a problem.

T
I just want to visit Denmark so I can climb to the top of Kronborg Castle and Yell “To Be or Not To Be.” 😂

Back