The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Cart thread (enter at your own risk!)

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
I doubt that we will need a subforum right now for discussions of cartridge razors, but a thread to focus our love, hatred or ambivalence towards might be useful. "Focused ambivalence"..... Hmmm, wonder what that is? :unsure:

Mach-3
After finishing an Injector blade a fortnight ago and reading about the joys @Cvargo was having with his cart (shipped from a still undiscovered fan!), I decided to break out the at-that-point still unused Mach-3 which I had purchased a few years ago.

Initially, the strange pivot point at the base of the cart seemed very unnatural, unlike the Sensor with it's mid-cartridge pivot. It took a few shaves to get used to it, but I finished my 14th daily shave with it this morning and might even get another week out of the cart. i still prefer the Sensor to it, but outside of a strange plastic squeek noise that keeps happening when I am shaving (plastic pivot hinge?), I do have to say that it is providing as clean and easy a shave result as the Sensor and my Injector.

Last edited:
I got a mach3 in the mail last year, I was going to send it to @Cvargo but one showed up at his door before I could get around to it. It’s a funny gag gift for sure but some may recall when @HandleBarberDave @McVeyMac @cmh737 and I did a “scientific study” where we compared Shave characteristics of the various types of shaving systems. The cart wasn’t a favorite but it proved capable. A major lesson learned was that prep and technique learned through wetshaving with DE, SE, feather and straight resulted in an improved cart experience. I have no doubt I could get great shaved with a mach3 in all areas other than my neck, my neck is not Mach comparable.

I will not hate on a cart user but I will also never join the ranks. I do wonder, 14 days or 21 do you notice a huge improvement when a fresh cart is installed? Is the degradation of a cart so slow or is it just that the bar never gets set all that high so it’s degradation is less noticed?

Harry's carts are pretty good as are the Schick Hydro 5. I think TracII carts are better, however.

Is the degradation of a cart so slow or is it just that the bar never gets set all that high so it’s degradation is less noticed?
The first week was easy peasy, the second required buffing the get the same result. I fully expect the cart to die sometime this week and for even more buffing to be required, but I will be happy if I can get a month (which I did a few years ago when I used a Lady Schick Hydro-5 for a month).

I never had a problem with carts in terms of shave quality, but I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

The irony is excruciating.

Back