The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The best fragrance that you don't own...

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
So, many of us here love the variety of fragrances that are publicly available, whether they are from designer brands (Dior, Calvin Klein, Georgio Armani, etc...) or niche fragrance houses (Creed, Penhaligon's, Amouage, etc...). What is the one, or couple of, fragrance(s) that you've smelled that want to add to your den eventually, but have yet to, and what about it is so great?

For me, there are three that I'm looking to add, for different reasons.

1) Penhaligon's Endymion Concentre - The original Endymion is probably my favorite frag in the den from a scent perspective, but it just doesn't project or have the longevity I desire. I'm hoping adding the EdP strength Concentre flanker to it would help solve that. Plus, it's Endymion...it has to be good!

2) Georgio Armani Aqua di Gio Profumo - I loved the original, but it was very much a spring/summer fragrance due to the light, citrus profile. The Profumo is supposed to add some much needed depth to it, and the longevity/sillage is supposed to be better. Getting great reviews as a year-round fragrance, and an instant classic scent that won't go out of style anytime soon.

3) Amouage Sunshine Man - Probably my most sought after fragrance, but also the most pricey. I tested this at the duty free in Dubai prior to my 14 hour flight from Dubai to Chicago, 2 hour flight to St. Louis and a 3 hour car ride to the house...22 hours+ traveling in all. The driver of the car (this is from traveling home following my injury) could smell the frag when I was in the back seat, 20 hours or so after a three spritz application. A great citrus-like opening, with almost a baked caramel cookie heart, which transitions beautifully to amber and sandalwood in the base. The citrus and baked caramel cookie (it's actually a plant that gives it this scent...remarkable!) lasted almost the entire time and were accented by the heart and base notes through its evolution. A must have for me.

Honorable Mentions: Fine American Blend EdP, WSP Barbershop and Gaelic Tweed EdP's

These will be additions to the den in the next year. Is anyone else eyeballing frags?

Penhaligon's English Fern. I still am surprised I haven't added this scent.

Vince Camuto Terra. I smelled this at a mall and fell in love with the scent. But didn't want to pay that price. I will pull the trigger online one day.

Cvargo said:
Penhaligon's English Fern. I still am surprised I haven't added this scent.

Vince Camuto Terra. I smelled this at a mall and fell in love with the scent. But didn't want to pay that price. I will pull the trigger online one day.

Amazon has a smaller bottle of English Fern ;)

Penhaligon's Endymion Concentre and Clandestine Clara are on my list.

I have intentionally stayed away from the fragrance rabbit hole. If I were to take the plunge, it would probably be Creed Aventus, AdP Colonia, GTB, Terre d'Hermes. But there are many scents that I know nothing about, so that list of possibilities is long.

Wow how many line / words am I allowed to post here?

But just narrowing it down (in particular order):

1) Creed Aventus and Green Irish Tweed A full bottle not a split or sample.
2) Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood and ASL - just haven't found it a good price yet.
3) Bleu de Channel - I'm just waiting to find it a good price, when I have $$$ in my pocket.
4) Bvlgari Man Black Orient - Really I haven't found this anywhere except online, and I think I'd like it but I would like to smell it 1st.
5) All the new Cremo scents- I have 2 there are 6.
6) All the new Fine scents
7) Ghost Town Barber
8) Yves Saint Laurent Rive gauche Pour Homme - Just hoping to find a deal on it somewhere.
9) Several Penhaligon's scents Endymion, Quercus, Blenheim Bouquet, Bayolea, Opus 1870, and Halfeti
10) D.R. Harris Arlington - Need this to match the ASL and I want some soap or cream too.

clyde72 said:
Wow how many line / words am I allowed to post here?

But just narrowing it down (in particular order):

1) Creed Aventus and Green Irish Tweed A full bottle not a split or sample.
2) Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood and ASL - just haven't found it a good price yet.
3) Bleu de Channel - I'm just waiting to find it a good price, when I have $$$ in my pocket.
4) Bvlgari Man Black Orient - Really I haven't found this anywhere except online, and I think I'd like it but I would like to smell it 1st.
5) All the new Cremo scents- I have 2 there are 6.
6) All the new Fine scents
7) Ghost Town Barber
8) Yves Saint Laurent Rive gauche Pour Homme - Just hoping to find a deal on it somewhere.
9) Several Penhaligon's scents Endymion, Quercus, Blenheim Bouquet, Bayolea, Opus 1870, and Halfeti
10) D.R. Harris Arlington - Need this to match the EdT and I want some soap or cream too.

Great list Craig, those are some outstanding frags! I was eyeballing some YSL Rive Gauche PH, but since Fine just released the AB EdP, I think I'm going to stick with that. Bleu de Channel is another that I was looking at; from the reviews the EdP is the way to go.

I purposefully don't test spray the pricey stuff, no reason to fall in love. My wife is a big obstacle too, she no longer lets me step foot into the Fragrance stores...something about "you don't need anymore foo-foo spray".
...But i would like to get some Tom Ford frags. His stuff is classy and always a treat. I like his vetiver (Grey Vetiver?) but I think I would like anything Tom Ford.
Can't go wrong with Fine Aftershaves and EdP spray, he gets them pretty close to the target.

The list is not as long as it used to be, and is not listed in order of preference.

-Creed Aventus(to be fair I have not smelled this one, but would buy it on recommendation and having smelled several of it's clones)

-Tom Ford Grey Vetiver: It's Tom Ford, and it's vetiver..duh

-Tom Ford Oud Wood: Oud deliciousness

-Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP: Got a sample of this from my sister, and it made The List right off the bat

-Bleu de Channel EDP: One little sample spray was all it took with this stuff. Downright marvelous

-Amouage Reflection Man

-Penhaligon's English Fern: No explanation necessary for this one lol

-Penhaligon's Halfeti: Got a decant of this(and a few other Pens frags) from @Dagwoodz, and it one of those that I fell in love with immediately. It helps that it is one of the few frags that have excellent projection(maybe a little too good) and longevity on my skin.

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet: Another decant from the accursed enabler, Dagwoodz lol. A fantastic light summer scent that has a lot of depth to it and evolves beautifully.

-Imaginary Authors A City On Fire: I could see this one being pretty controversial, but I love it enough to put it at or near the top of the Frag Acquisition List. It would probably only ever be used in Autumn or Winter, and it is a Beast Mode frag with great projection. Longevity is off the charts, and you could easily smell it on your shirt after washing it.

And probably some more that I can't think of right off hand lol. So when I'm able to decide between a new car and some frags, I know which way I'll probably go.

Always happy to enable, Eric! Glad the Halfeti is such a favorite. It's become my go-to Rose fragrance, as it's difficult to find a good rose fragrance for men without getting too floral and borderline feminine. The Tom Ford Oud Wood will be one that I look at once the NY Oud I have has kicked the bucket. Such a great frag!

That Imaginary Authors sounds pretty interesting.

NurseDave said:
That Imaginary Authors sounds pretty interesting.

Imaginary Authors practically defines "niche". Every one of their frags that I've smelled(6 or 7 of them) are just out there enough to be completely unique, yet well blended and full of character. There are a few that I didn't care for, but was still able to appreciate how well they were made.

Smattayu said:
Imaginary Authors practically defines "niche". Every one of their frags that I've smelled(6 or 7 of them) are just out there enough to be completely unique, yet well blended and full of character. There are a few that I didn't care for, but was still able to appreciate how well they were made.

Well from the website, it certainly is interesting. But also reminds me of how I got excited for the zoologist stuff but didn't find one I would spend the money for. I'll have to research the stores that carry them in CA and OR and see if I'll be close to one so I don't have to hear the "You spend how much for samples?!?!" from the wife again. ?

Smattayu said:
Imaginary Authors practically defines "niche".

I bought the full line, in samples to check them out, eons ago. But still haven't gotten around to testing more than a couple. I'm not much of a frag guy.

I’m a self proclaimed sandalwood man when it comes to shaving, but sadly I’ve not delved much into sandalwood frags; most of the “good” ones folks talk about are way out of my price range.

One of these days!

This thread may be my undoing... Actually my wife said she would like it if I wore cologne instead of just AS. This thread just helped.

I just ordered a bunch of frag samples to try. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino sounds great. I opted to wait on it though. I want to look down the rabbit hole, not cliff dive into it.

This thread may be my undoing... Actually my wife said she would like it if I wore cologne instead of just AS. This thread just helped.

I just ordered a bunch of frag samples to try. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino sounds great. I opted to wait on it though. I want to look down the rabbit hole, not cliff dive into it.
Oh man, the go ahead from the wife?!? You're golden! Shop on!

Alright - I have a bunch of samples from Penhaligon's, Hermes, Creed, Tom Ford, and some others.. Some are used heavily and some have been used once. I honestly don't remember all the frags.... But if there is any interest, let me know because I need them gone. I would put this in the PIF thread as well but it seems like the most interested folks are in this thread. PM me if interested.

Back