The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Best Bite!

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Ok. So I don’t care what track of life you come from…. Whether it’s the the hunter life you capture your prey or the more affluent life that you purchase you’re prey…. What’s the most obscure/curious prey that you’ve procured/ obtained… by your own means…. And what did you do with the meat, that you obtained?

Bobcat, was given some steaks and leg quarter from a rancher friend of mine, same one who gave us Cougar. Both delicious BBQ’d. Beef like fat veining, and pork like taste and texture . the Cougar was amazing.

Interesting! I’ve had venison, rabbit, and squirrel that were all hunted on our property. All were great.

The venison makes amazing steaks. And if cleaned right, don’t have any gamey taste to them. The roasts make good jerky and shredded bbq.

Grilled rabbit was amazing. That surprised me how well it turned out.

Made a great stew with all three and that was great.

Probably the oddest thing I’ve eaten was spoonbill (paddlefish) fished from lake of the Ozarks. The steaks are amazing grilled and we made caviar from the eggs too.

The most obscure for me was Rattlesnake and it was delicious! My favorite I’ve killed in my yard was wild pheasant which is also delicious.

Back when I lived in Montana, we would have a wild game dinner at my church. I got to try bear, antelope, and elk. Bear was a little greasy in feel and the antelope was so lean, that they made it into a sausage which was really good, but I didn't get to try a piece of antelope by itself. The elk, well that is by far my favorite meat. It is like a beef/venison hybrid. I have had it a few different ways, steak, summer sausage and jerky.

Bison was all over the place up there, I wouldn't really consider that exotic. It tastes like beef which they have to be careful of overcooking because it dries out quick.

i lived in a remote area for a couple weeks with some indigenous folks called Nivkhs. Among birds and fish, we caught and ate a bunch of seal. We cooked it and ate it with wild blueberries.

They also taught me how to make “5 minute” caviar from king salmon.

i lived in a remote area for a couple weeks with some indigenous folks called Nivkhs. Among birds and fish, we caught and ate a bunch of seal. We cooked it and ate it with wild blueberries.

They also taught me how to make “5 minute” caviar from king salmon.
What does seal taste like?

it's been a long time - over 20 years, but I remember it was not like anything I had tried before and a a year previous I had been to Carnivore just outside Nairobi.. kind of gamey, it felt very oily, not sure if that was inherent to the meat or the prep from the cook. I was not living the life of luxury at that point and was hungry, tired and I'm not sure that at that point, I was just happy to be eating by gas light in our small home.

From the pictures I have seen it appears really Rich, almost like an organ meat, always wanted to try. As I am sure some of you have I did not mention the Souteast Asian Street vendors with Crickets, grasshoppers, ants, scorpions, tarantulas, and various other "proteins" that make Andrew Zimmer all giddy. I have eaten all the other stuff, I never did try the tarantula. Being from AZ it seemed like something sacrilegious to an Arizonan LOL

I have eaten all the other stuff,
Yeah, I’ve eaten some weirder stuff too. My point in this thread wasn’t to key in on the weirdest thing you’ve eaten, but more the weirdest thing you’ve ever had that you obtained and cooked yourself.

And, if I was ever in Thailand or similar, and was offered a Tarantula to eat, I would certainly try it. I’ll try (just about) anything once.

Back