The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Thayer's Toners and Astringents

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Thayer's Lemon!" - @NurseDave

Ok, so recently I've been doing so more research and looking into Thayer's products. I wrongfully assumed they were all the same, except for scent. I love comparing ingredients lists to see what the exact difference is between them. I think this gives the buyer a more informed decision on which product they may want to purchase, rather than just looking at the front of the label. Going along with prior assumptions I made, I thought the products were all the same, except that some were alcohol free and others were not. Sort of, but there's a little more to it.

Also, there is some debate about whether or not this is Witch Hazel. Let me set the record straight on this.... it is not, nor does it claim to be. The thing I just learned myself is that the alcohol free products are called Facial Toners, and the products with alcohol are called Astringents. They all contain a Witch Hazel extract..... not a distillate. Witch Hazel as a standalone product is by definition a distillate of the Witch Hazel plant. This is not. It does contain the extracts, which Thayer's claims is better and preserves the tannins for more benefit. They do say Witch Hazel on the label, but that is not part of the name of the product, so they are not claiming to be said product, they are just informing you that it contains Witch Hazel [extracts]. (Note: I think the old labels were a bit confusing and ambiguous on this point. The new product labels are much more clear on this) This post is not meant to belabor this point or spur along this debate. I am merealy stating facts, and not opinion. Use the product as you would any Witch Hazel product..... and call it Witch Hazel if you want (I don't care).

Now, onto the fun stuff.

First off, we will start with the alcohol-free Facial Toners. This product comes in Unscented and 5 different scents: Original (Witch Hazel scent), Lavender, Coconut Water, Rose, and Cucumber. Now, these 5 products are all the same, with the exception of the scent components.

7008-Unscented.jpg
Unscented Toner Ingredients:

Purified Water, Glycerin, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

7005-Original-Toner.jpg
Original Toner Ingredients:

Purified Water, Glycerin, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Natural Witch Hazel), Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

7006-Lavender.jpg
Lavender Toner Ingredients:

Purified Water, Glycerin, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Water, Fragrance (Natural Lavender), Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

Parents-Award.png
Coconut Water Toner Ingredients:

Purified Water, Glycerin, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Fragrance (Natural Coconut), Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract.

7003-Rose.jpg
Rose Toner Ingredients:

Purified Water, Glycerin, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Rosa Centifolia (Rose) Flower Water, Fragrance (Natural Rose), Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

7007-Cucumber.jpg
Cucumber Toner Ingredients:

Purified Water, Glycerin, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now we move onto the two Alcohol containing products, which are labeled Astringents. One labeled Original (Witch Hazel scent), and the other Lemon. "There's Lemon!" Now, these two products are wildly different.

6576-Original-Astringent.jpg
Original Astringent Ingredients:

Purified Water, SD Alcohol 40-B (Natural Grain), Glycerin (Vegetable), Natural Fragrance, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol

First of all if we compare the Astringent to the Facial Toner we note the following differences. First is the addition of alcohol to the astringent (obviously) and Natural Fragrance. The Astringent is also lacking the Citric Acid and Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract that are in the toner. Other than that, the two formulas are identical.

Now when we look at the Lemon Astringent, we see that the ingredients are identical to the Original, to a point, then the Lemon gets all kinds of crazy and adds Lemon Fragrance, Citric Acid and a whopping 6 additional plant extracts!

6703-Lemon.jpg
Lemon Astringent Ingredients:

Purified Water, SD Alcohol 40-B (Natural Grain), Glycerin (Vegetable), Natural Fragrance, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Extract, Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Extract, Fragrance (Natural Lemon), Citric Acid

I can see now, why @NurseDave loves the Lemon so much, and why he says his skin feels great from using it. I'm now totally on board to give it a try, as it seems to be the best of their witch Hazel products. (Unless of course you are looking for an alcohol-free product).

It would be kind of fun to contact Thayers and see if we can get Dave a Shirt.

Mmmmm, you had me at Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract. A very well researched an laid out post Mr Spider.

Have the Lavender, Rose Petal and Lemon...even Mrs. S loves them!

Thayer's Lemon. It's what Movers slap on before a hard day in the Mayflower truck. I'll have to get me some, you know, before I move that furniture around.

...The thing I just learned myself is that the alcohol free products are called Facial Toners, and the products with alcohol are called Astringents. They all contain a Witch Hazel extract.....

The mere addition of alcohol does not always make a toner into an astringent per se as there are exceptions, but it's a general rule of thumb. A toner is used after cleansing, and its main job is to balance the skin's pH. Astringents are either alcohol-based or use witch hazel. The catch is that some toners do indeed have alcohol. As you astutely pointed out, people should read the labels. Even moreso, determine why you are using anything post shave. I use salicylic acid toners/astringents/gels post shave to mitigate ingrown hairs and also to tighten pore appearance and prevent fine lines & wrinkles. It works splendidly. As an added measure I often use a moisturizer that incorporates salicylic acid within for the best of both worlds.

I think many wet shavers are using witch hazel/alcohol post-shave products under the assumption they are staving off any nasty "critters" which is the wrong reason.

My local Fred Meyer's had the original and lavender on sale a couple months ago.

Wanted to try this product, since I see it has a following in the wet shaving community.

Went for the Lavender and really like the scent. My face seems to like it better than Dickenson's or the genetic witch hazel I have in the den.

I miss Fred Meyer’s. Just sayin’.

Back