The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tam O' Shanter Hones

My Tam O’ Shanters arrived yesterday. They are pretty small 1X1X5, but for a touch up hone they work perfectly. Pretty little stones when wet. Last night I polished up the edge of a pairing knife with a little pressure and was surprised how quickly the stone produced swarf. So, that told me it was pretty fast and then with light pressure finishing laps, it took on a very fine edge(fairly fine).
This morning, I touched up my Red Imp 133 which was really needing an edge refresh. It went from not passing HHT or packing peanut test to passing both easily after about 12 very light laps. At about 5 laps it got pretty sticky and at about 10 under running water it was stuck hard to the stone. Shave test this afternoon we’ll tell the tale. I have a bunch more stones to test before I play with this one for a while, so we’ll see.
A8E29AD4-5BC4-43D6-A812-8B2DAD205584.jpeg

Last edited:
Back