The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tam O' Shanter Hones

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist

I recently ran into a guy who was trying to move a TON of Tam O'Shanter Hones. I know some guys use them but they don't get a lot of discussion because they seem to be a more "rare," stone at least to me. Also, I'm sure all of these stones are different with some being wonderful finishers and some pre-finishers. I did end up buying a two of the stones, 1 has a label and one does not, both of them are 1in X 1in X 5in. I was planning on using one as a tomo to see how it worked on my Arks/ Jnats.​

What are your experiences with them?

The Seller said: "They came from an estate sale. The family owned a printing company back in the 50s/60s . I’m told they where used to dress metal type face."

This is so interesting, I wouldn't have thought this would be a use for these stones. They are natural polishers, so I'd say its as good a use for them as any other.

1668007566167.png

1668007628187.png

1668007678718.png

WOW thats a lot of stones. I think i have seen Tam O Shanter mentioned before but I may be wrong. In any case I have no idea how well the work or what they are best at. Their size suggests they should be put in a box of some sort.

WOW thats a lot of stones. I think i have seen Tam O Shanter mentioned before but I may be wrong. In any case I have no idea how well the work or what they are best at. Their size suggests they should be put in a box of some sort.
I'll let you know how it goes!

They look like some form of clay stone or slate. Do they have any patterning when wet? I have some Welsh Slate stones that are really easy to use, they progress from around 8-10k on up to maybe 30k. The hardest one does NOT slurry but the others do. *something that thick is perfect for lapping flat on one side then convex on the other(s)

Very interesting.

Worked in the printing trade all my life, still do. Letterpress printing was starting to work its way out before I was born, but I did study it in school and worked with it early in my career. While I’d never heard of using a hone to dress a type face but it would make sense in certain situations.

When I saw the label stating they were used in lithography it did strike a note. I had used these smaller ones to hone things off aluminum plates that were not supposed to print many times.

p1130857 1.jpg

Anxious to hear how they work out for you.

A 'stone nut' like me can't never have to many stones! I love all my rocks, good and no so good, sometimes i like to just look at them, 😂. Anyone else a rock hound geek/nut?

I am thinking of getting the Gok 20k... Man she is high, but it seems to be regarded as a great finishing razor hone..

A 'stone nut' like me can't never have to many stones! I love all my rocks, good and no so good, sometimes i like to just look at them, 😂. Anyone else a rock hound geek/nut?

I am thinking of getting the Gok 20k... Man she is high, but it seems to be regarded as a great finishing razor hone..
I recently became a member of the Gok20 club. I do like it.

In my mind, one advantage of man made products is piece to piece consistency. I have Arks that seem to have small performance differences in different areas. Not a big deal, but just more to learn.

I recently became a member of the Gok20 club. I do like it.

In my mind, one advantage of man made products is piece to piece consistency. I have Arks that seem to have small performance differences in different areas. Not a big deal, but just more to learn.
So you see a very noticeable difference in it and the Naniwa 12k? Some say no, but some say definitely a difference.

Back