The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Synthetic Paladin

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
SOTD10-2.jpg

I have been wanting one of these for a very long time. My Brush Stable is roughly half Paladin Brushes and half Synthetics. I love both, but do find that I reach for my synthetics more often. I don't know why, but I find that my soaps lather easier and/or better with synthetics, and in general the synthetics feel softer on my face.

I had talked with Ken about the possibility of making synthetic knot brushes years ago, but at the time he did not feel that folks would pay premium prices for a synthetic brush. I totally disagree, as I know the premium I'm paying for a paladin is not specifically for the Knot, but more so the build quality and care that goes into the handle. I was super excited to see that Ken finally took a chance on synthetics, and I believe that many folks think the way I do about them.

Unfortunately, this particular synthetic knot has missed the mark for me. Many users, so far, have commented that these knots have a lot of backbone. I was really worried about that, since so many people commented about it, it must be drastically different than what most people are used to using. For my tastes, it does have way too much backbone... far more than any of my badgers. It lacks the ability to splay out on my face the way I need it to, to effectively face lather comfortably. The amount of backbone this knot has reminds me of the synthetics that were coming out 5-6 years ago. The reason I like the synthetics of today, is that they closely replicate the feel and performance of a badger, but this one (for me) does not. I hate being negative about it, but I gotta be honest in my review. I really wanted to love this brush. If you like a lot of backbone, it may be just right for you.

As a point of reference, the Tuxedo and Timberwolf synthetic knots are perfect for me. I have many brushes with those knots. I'm guessing that Ken chose this knot partly because it looks very similar to a badger knot, and therefore would not look obviously like a synthetic to take away from the overall aesthetics that he wants to maintain with his brushes. I can appreciate that, if that's the case, but I also know it's a synthetic and don't mind it looking like one.

I do hope that Ken continues to explore synthetic options for his brush line, as I do think there is a definite market for them. I would just like to see a softer knot in future brushes.

I wonder if it's a simple matter of being set a mm or two too deep for the feel you are looking for, KJ?

View attachment 36907

I have been wanting one of these for a very long time. My Brush Stable is roughly half Paladin Brushes and half Synthetics. I love both, but do find that I reach for my synthetics more often. I don't know why, but I find that my soaps lather easier and/or better with synthetics, and in general the synthetics feel softer on my face.

I had talked with Ken about the possibility of making synthetic knot brushes years ago, but at the time he did not feel that folks would pay premium prices for a synthetic brush. I totally disagree, as I know the premium I'm paying for a paladin is not specifically for the Knot, but more so the build quality and care that goes into the handle. I was super excited to see that Ken finally took a chance on synthetics, and I believe that many folks think the way I do about them.

Unfortunately, this particular synthetic knot has missed the mark for me. Many users, so far, have commented that these knots have a lot of backbone. I was really worried about that, since so many people commented about it, it must be drastically different than what most people are used to using. For my tastes, it does have way too much backbone... far more than any of my badgers. It lacks the ability to splay out on my face the way I need it to, to effectively face lather comfortably. The amount of backbone this knot has reminds me of the synthetics that were coming out 5-6 years ago. The reason I like the synthetics of today, is that they closely replicate the feel and performance of a badger, but this one (for me) does not. I hate being negative about it, but I gotta be honest in my review. I really wanted to love this brush. If you like a lot of backbone, it may be just right for you.

As a point of reference, the Tuxedo and Timberwolf synthetic knots are perfect for me. I have many brushes with those knots. I'm guessing that Ken chose this knot partly because it looks very similar to a badger knot, and therefore would not look obviously like a synthetic to take away from the overall aesthetics that he wants to maintain with his brushes. I can appreciate that, if that's the case, but I also know it's a synthetic and don't mind it looking like one.

I do hope that Ken continues to explore synthetic options for his brush line, as I do think there is a definite market for them. I would just like to see a softer knot in future brushes.
Have you tried any of the S-brushes by Omega? They're synth Boars and this is what I thought of when you described your experience. They work well enough, but don't splay easily and are too springy.

Curious if this is that same type of knot?

Thanks for the review @Spider . Much appreciated.

I wonder if it's a simple matter of being set a mm or two too deep for the feel you are looking for, KJ?
I don't think it has to do with how it's set. I think it's more of the fiber itself being stiffer.
Have you tried any of the S-brushes by Omega?

I have not.

Ah, so more like an older synth knot then. Blah.
Yeah, I said the backbone reminds me of the older sythns from 5-6 years ago. But the fibers are definitely softer and don't stick to each other like those ones did.
Time to reknot or let it find a new home then.
That's what I"m trying to figure out right now. Thinking about re-knotting, but not sure which way to go. Also trying to figure out which knot this is, so I don't get the same one. I'd kinda like to keep the same look.

AP Shave Co on Etsy has a great synthetic knot called the SynBad that looks similar to the one you have in your brush. The 24mm SynBad knot I have is very soft and splays on the face really nice.
BDB0C4C6-216D-4215-B99D-F8FAC81FF618.jpeg

SynBad that looks similar to the one you have in your brush.
That's not the look I'm going for. More like AP Shave Co's 2BED brush. Although the one's I've seen posted online, don't really look like the one on their page. I also don't see it in a 26mm.

Have you tried any of the S-brushes by Omega? They're synth Boars and this is what I thought of when you described your experience. They work well enough, but don't splay easily and are too springy.

Thanks for the review @Spider . Much appreciated.
Oh I remember those Doug you’re talking about the Olympic Lather throw distanve champion of shave brush world. That’s why I got rid of mine

Oh I remember those Doug you’re talking about the Olympic Lather throw distanve champion of shave brush world. That’s why I got rid of mine
Lol, that's the one.

I don't understand why you got rid of it. Bring it to the shop and you can lather a customer up before he makes it in the door.

Lol, that's the one.

I don't understand why you got rid of it. Bring it to the shop and you can lather a customer up before he makes it in the door.
Haha funny you mention because i actually have an Omegs i use for clients a badger one that is too floppy for me LOL

Bummer the knot did work you for ya KJ...I do like the way it looks though, very reminiscent of a badger look but yea, those older knots can be atrocious in feel. Hope you can find something better and get it reknotted without issue.

Back