The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Synthetic brushes

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
I was thinking about getting a synthetic brush for the road. All i have is badger brushes atm. i have a PAA red rocket but its a bit too big and floppy. What would be a good synthetic road brush to get? What are the advantages of synthetics over badger brushes? thanks again

Nowadays most synthetic knots are about the same, at least to me. The tuxedo knot is a classic and a pretty good starting point. Most everyone is using the same knots too, so recommending an individual vendor is kind of moot, in my opinion. Just pick something you like.

Advantages of synthetic…. Don’t need to soak the brush, just wet it and go. And they dry faster, so for travel that’s a plus.

I have a tiny 19mm synth from Maggards that fits on a pill bottle, and I use it for short trips. Anything over a few days and I just bring a full size one. But size might be a concern for you.

I prefer synthetic to badger. Most of my brushes are synthetic.

I suggest getting either a tuxedo knot, as @Spider mentioned, or a cashmere knot. You will want to stay under 26mm for the knot size (The PAA Rocket is 26mm, FYI).

The most important thing is to find a handle that is comfortable in your hand. As @Spider mentioned, all the knots are sourced from basically one place regardless of brush vendor. So, focus on getting the right handle for you.

I also prefer synths. My favorite for travel is the Yaqi Sagrada Familia. It’s a 24mm but fits perfectly in my dopp kit and always makes good lathers. The Stirling B/W synth is also a good smaller brush for me. I believe they both have the Tuxedo knot?

Back