The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Supply razor video

Adamf

Jr. Shave Member
So I watched an interesting video from the founder of SUPPLY razors. They just ( didn’t check date of video) introduced 2 new best ever razors. And just in case you didn’t realize it, safety razors are NOT safe. They are dangerous and you cut yourself badly because you have to press down and your skin gets caught under the blade.
Then he shaved with the new, best razor in the history of the universe. He had to make multiple passes over the same spot. On more than one occasion, after rinsing his razor in the water he had to wipe the hair caught in the blade off.
It also is so good you only need to make one pass. He got done with the razor and admitted to still having stubble. It was entertaining to watch for sure.
The razor also has new Nick stop technology. Closed comb basically and it doesn’t clog. I guess in the video he got a bad razor. It comes with single edge injection blades.
I really have no issues with them. I get you want to sell your products. You do you. I’m sure plenty of people love the razors.
Spreading false information about DE razors kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I’ll see if I can find the video and post it here.

I haven’t watched any videos as you described but I have seen them advertising (maybe on Instagram?) where the main point being made is “safety razors aren’t safe”. They may be the only ones being so bold as to say that but there have been many ads assailing the 5 blade or ‘multi-blade’ razors. I never thought of any of it being false advertising…but I guess it could be.

What strikes me about SUPPLY in particular is that rather than trying to convince the existing “wet shaving” who has already decided against using disposable ‘safety razors’, they are trying to claim share from the current users of safety razors. In a sense, they are selling two ideas; that safety razors are bad (or dangerous or whatever) and that their product is not only a better way to go …it’s THE BEST way in the universe of products to go. Bold marketing choice? I don’t know if it’s bold or just a very commercial producer-like way to go.

There is one very positive thing to come from SUPPLY and that is their platform is based on traditional injector type blades. They may end up playing a part in keeping those style blades in play so we can continue to enjoy easy access and perhaps others will come along and ‘improve’ on the injector blade platform.

About 5 years ago I ordered a 10 pack of SUPPLY injector blades from amazon and received 10 ten packs instead because they had packaged them wrong. This was while they were still working on bringing the razor that would use these blades to market. The blades are pretty good in the injectors I have used them in.

Is this like Wylie Coyote didn't know he should fall until he read a sign in mid-air? We didn't know we should be cutting the heck out of ourselves until Supply told us.

I guess I get it. You are in it to make money. Don’t have an issue with that at all. I guess ultimately the thing that kind of rubbed me the wrong way was their stance that DE razors are not safe. Making it sound like you will slice your cheek off if you use them kinda thing. I’d say that the safety razor market is relatively small one so everybody knows everybody. I think they can all get along in the sandbox and make money

Back