The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sundries Delivery

August West

TSC Yoda
Veteran
During the pandemic, I decided to utilize home delivery services for my sundries. Meat from local butcher using Mercado, Target via Shipt etc. It really wasn’t due to fear of getting sick, but more of a disillusionment with my fellow citizens and their aggressive attitude towards each other regarding the wearing of masks. The straw that broke the camels back was when a gentleman coughed repeatedly in my direction when I was checking out the produce. I may be old and look like a gentle Santa, but I came close to jamming his septum into his brain pan. Wife said, “You’re done!” Anyone else use these types of services? I really like it and believe I will continue for years to come. Service subscription fees and tips are a drawback.

Last edited:
I use the various meal delivery services a lot more in the last couple of years - for both convenience and for the reasons you stated above.

even before COVID - I had begin to use Peapod - a grocery delivery service - it still gave me the gas points for my local gro store - and for less than $8 fir a delivery fee (plus small tip )- well worth it - basically I was saving the same amount of $ because they took coupons - plus my loyalty points - I thought saving an hour or two shopping was well worth it. it was especially worth it when I had to commute - and they packed cold/frozen/refrigerated items in dry ice. So my kids were at the age where you‘d put dry ice in their drink and they thought it was magic!

I use the various meal delivery services a lot more in the last couple of years - for both convenience and for the reasons you stated above.

even before COVID - I had begin to use Peapod - a grocery delivery service - it still gave me the gas points for my local gro store - and for less than $8 fir a delivery fee (plus small tip )- well worth it - basically I was saving the same amount of $ because they took coupons - plus my loyalty points - I thought saving an hour or two shopping was well worth it. it was especially worth it when I had to commute - and they packed cold/frozen/refrigerated items in dry ice. So my kids were at the age where you‘d put dry ice in their drink and they thought it was magic!
I haven’t crunched the numbers due to lack of data, but I think savings on transportation could be significant to offset fees.

Precovid I used Amazon’s grocery service. I got tired of stopping at the store on my way home from work several times a week. As soon as COVID hit, they couldn’t keep up with demand and you couldn’t even reserve a delivery time. I haven’t looked for over a year to see what the situation is but my wife is also only going into the office one or two days a week so we have more flexibility still.

We tried in the early days, but as ^^^^^^ @NurseDave stated it was a dumpster fire getting it delivered, in fact once we never got our groceries, and had to pull teeth to get refunded, plus where we live only very few deliver as it is too far in the sticks for most, so we just were careful

I am starting to research this now after seeing these Hungry Root commercials. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but will when I decide on a vendor.

I'm all in on these services, and I believe we're just starting to scratch the surface.

We frequently use Amazon Prime and other on-line retailers for home delivery of as many things as possible. I've got several deliveries already lined up for this week. We still haven't taken the step of having groceries and meals delivered to our home. This is not a big thing for us, since live within minutes of several shopping areas.

We get nearly everything else (groceries, drug store items, clothing, adult beverages, home improvement items, and more) via curbside. I've been inside a grocery store only a handful of times since early 2020, and I've shed nary a tear as a result. I find curbisde services to be considerable time savers, and mostly error-free. I plan to continue using them as long as they're available. I may even pick up some anti-perspirant and tooth paste if they every become available 'round here. :)

On a couple of occasions, we've scheduled grocery pickups at a travel destination before our trip even began. This is a welcome time saver after a long day of driving when you NEED to stock up on Oreos, Rocky Road ice cream, and Mt. Dew for the next few days.

We even checked into and out of a hotel recently using a phone app along with Bluetooth. I only went up to the check-in counter for the warm cookies they set out for the guests.

I like interacting with (most) people, but I'm not fond of doing so in the checkout line at Piggly Wiggly.

Tbh, I haven’t done the groceries or food delivery. My wife restricted me from going to supermarket and costco for a long while and it was a nice break. She would go and load up to minimize risk, and we rarely frequented restaurants that we absolutely loved and had to have food from so we just home cooked before, during and after.

I’ve been learning to utilize online shopping more, prime and whatnot, but most of my previous buys were coming from bst, shave shops and ebay 💀

Back