The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sumo September 2022 Basho

HMan

Doften Savant
Day 2 of the basho and already a lot of exciting bouts have happened. Today had a couple of real barn burners.

Getting caught up on the first two days now. Some great matches!

Okay...I might need to jump into the Sumo Action...how are you all watching these matches?

Okay...I might need to jump into the Sumo Action...how are you all watching these matches?
Youtube primarily. Here are the 3 most popular channels:

The first channel is an American who lives in Japan and provides great english coverage

Second Channel is Chris Sumo, he has inner connections to the wrestlers and provides great insight on sumo in english that we would normally miss.

Third channel is NattoSumo its all in japanese but he shows EVERY match in the 3 top divisions. I Primarily watch his Majuuchi video each day during the tourney, and the Juryo also if anything interesting is happening.

Forgot to mention this website

it goes into detail about all the tradition. Sumo is essentially a religion and there are lot of subtle nuances and rules that may seem weird to us in America. This site provides a lot of great info in english.

Youtube primarily. Here are the 3 most popular channels:

The first channel is an American who lives in Japan and provides great english coverage

Second Channel is Chris Sumo, he has inner connections to the wrestlers and provides great insight on sumo in english that we would normally miss.

Third channel is NattoSumo its all in japanese but he shows EVERY match in the 3 top divisions. I Primarily watch his Majuuchi video each day during the tourney, and the Juryo also if anything interesting is happening.

Forgot to mention this website

it goes into detail about all the tradition. Sumo is essentially a religion and there are lot of subtle nuances and rules that may seem weird to us in America. This site provides a lot of great info in english.
Thanks Chad!

Oho and Ryuden match on Day 3. It's interesting that Ryuden just bulldozed the two lower divisions after his suspension. But these lower guys in Makuuchi he is struggling with. I actually think Oho while still early is looking really good.

Oh man that Daieisho vs Ura today was a great match.

My guy Wakatakage continues to disappoint right now. His slump these last tow tourneys has been interesting.

Ozeki's Shodai being shodai, Takakeisho seems to be fighting with a purpose, and Mitakeumi with his standard WTF match.

Hoshoryu and Tobizaru are the two I am secretly rooting for so far.

Oho and Ryuden match on Day 3. It's interesting that Ryuden just bulldozed the two lower divisions after his suspension. But these lower guys in Makuuchi he is struggling with. I actually think Oho while still early is looking really good.
For sure! The upper division guys are completely different from those folks below the line. I like him though and hope he continues his comeback.
Oh man that Daieisho vs Ura today was a great match.

My guy Wakatakage continues to disappoint right now. His slump these last tow tourneys has been interesting.

Ozeki's Shodai being shodai, Takakeisho seems to be fighting with a purpose, and Mitakeumi with his standard WTF match.

Hoshoryu and Tobizaru are the two I am secretly rooting for so far.
Yep! Ura's match was fun to watch! I'm rooting for Wakamotoharu for sure! Tough match for him today though...

Takakeisho looks like a bowling ball knocking over pins! Seriously though mitakeumi??? He must not have eaten his Wheaties today...

Seriously though mitakeumi??? He must not have eaten his Wheaties today...
He has to be one of the most frustrating Ozeki... well between him and Shodai. They both always seem to be just so blah at times. And while yes Takakeisho probably hasn't seen his toes or ;) in years he is easily the most consistent out of the 3. This basho after just 3 days even with a loss it seems it's Teru's tourney to lose.

He has to be one of the most frustrating Ozeki... well between him and Shodai. They both always seem to be just so blah at times. And while yes Takakeisho probably hasn't seen his toes or ;) in years he is easily the most consistent out of the 3. This basho after just 3 days even with a loss it seems it's Teru's tourney to lose.
Completely agree about Mita and Shodai, I wonder if Teru can hold out. I didn't think his match went really well today, he seemed sluggish and not completely in control.

Completely agree about Mita and Shodai, I wonder if Teru can hold out. I didn't think his match went really well today, he seemed sluggish and not completely in control.
I guess I take a different approach at Teru. I figure every time someone wrestles against him Teru is always going to get that wrestlers 110% no holding back. So Teru winning no matter how it happens is good for him. While yes the match today wasn't the most dominating for him. He still won. There is a possibility I could be wrong but I expect him to be in the hunt come day 12 and 13 for sure.

Back