The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stuart is getting a Hair Transplant

Dave in KY

Shave Newbie
Most if reading my journal know i was less than thrilled with the dinky small 24 mm knot used in the Minion brush I got. It is 24 mm at the base but knot bulb size compared to my other 24mm synthetics looked more like an 18mm and I hated it every time I used it ( think twice ) So I decided even though this wouldn't be a typical not removal because of the handle material being more flexible than acrylic or wood etc. I tried soaking in HOT water and pulling on it putting pressure in different directions. Was getting no where and I was afraid I'd break/rip the handle. Decided to give him a trim 1st.
IMG_20190729_085550241.jpg

Then it was to the shop and the drill press to see what the epoxy situation was. Small Harbor freight drill press couldn't handle the height of my paddle bits. I ended up just using a simple roughly 1/2 inch bit to start the process with a hole and then pliers snapping/chipping away at the edge and pulling hair out until we got where we needed.
IMG_20190729_091435789.jpg

IMG_20190729_092213254.jpg
IMG_20190729_092204864.jpg
IMG_20190729_092512965.jpg

I may use a rotozip and try to clean it up once the knot arrives and I see what is needed to get the correct height and flat surface to set the knot. I went with a 24mm Timberwolf Grey Synthetic from Maggards as I decided against a nice Badger. Stuart just isn't high falutin' enough to warrant more than a synthetic.

And he keeps smiling through it all

Pretty cool. Excited to see how it turns out

Cool. I don't know if Maggard's has the white synthetic (I'm thinking they do because I can't think of any place else I might have gotten it) but that would look good too. I usually order several synthetics of different sizes and a few really nice badger knots when they have a sale or some sort of free shipping thing ...or when I have ANY reason to order something. Having extra knots around makes it easy to throw together little projects.

Cool. I don't know if Maggard's has the white synthetic (I'm thinking they do because I can't think of any place else I might have gotten it) but that would look good too. I usually order several synthetics of different sizes and a few really nice badger knots when they have a sale or some sort of free shipping thing ...or when I have ANY reason to order something. Having extra knots around makes it easy to throw together little projects.
But that would be soap money just sitting there unused till a project came along.............. :ROFLMAO:

Looks like they used the same toy that I did when I made mine. I used a black badger knot for it cause, ya know, they have black hair...

Good job on cleaning that old knot out. If it is the same type of material as mine, it doesn't take much to mess them up. They are pretty soft. I filled the whole thing with silicone and just set the knot in that. Yours looks like they epoxied the whole thing. Can't wait to see it finished.

Looks like they used the same toy that I did when I made mine. I used a black badger knot for it cause, ya know, they have black hair...

Good job on cleaning that old knot out. If it is the same type of material as mine, it doesn't take much to mess them up. They are pretty soft. I filled the whole thing with silicone and just set the knot in that. Yours looks like they epoxied the whole thing. Can't wait to see it finished.
Yeah they filled it with epoxy and this toy is SOFT so I was careful. I plan on using silicone also. Thanks Shawn

Back