The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Strops?

DocHoliday0831

Won't Share His Sugar Daddy
Legacy
I have recently fallen into the rabbit hole that is traditional straight razors. I own two really cheaply made strops with different style handles and am interested in upgrading to a moderately better quality strop. Preferably one leather and one layer that isn’t nylon webbing. Not really sure such an animal exists without a special order type thing. Any suggestions that wont break the yearly shave budget up front?

A lot will depend on how much you are willing to spend on a strop, but honestly, Tony Miller's fast bridle or hierloom would be my recommendation without getting too pricey (westholm, kanayama). I will say the Kanayama I have is relatively inexpensive compared to their thicker models (bigger the number, the thicker the leather) and it's the same surface, which I love.

The Tony Miller and the Kanayama strop both fall under that price.

Tony Miller has his own site, The Well Shaved Gentleman, and the Kanayama 2196 is about $110 US at Fendrihan.com (don't go to the .CA site, it's in funny money, err...Canadian Dollars)

A lot will depend on how much you are willing to spend on a strop, but honestly, Tim Miller's fast bridle or hierloom would be my recommendation without getting too pricey (westholm, kanayama). I will say the Kanayama I have is relatively inexpensive compared to their thicker models (bigger the number, the thicker the leather) and it's the same surface, which I love.
I have actually been looking at these as well. I plan to look into a new strop once I reach 100 shaves.

Mine is just a poor man's strop from whipped dog. Very simple, but it gets the job done.

I probably need to get a better strop. I made my own. The leather part is made out of a cowhide belt blank that I bought at tandy leather. I've been told that is not good leather for a strop, but it's working ok, I guess. I also made a linen side. At least I think it's linen, not sure exactly what it is, might be cotton. I bought the strap at an upholstery refinisher place.

Tony Miller 100% then as a back up Westholme, not to be confused with Tim Miller who does not exist in Stropland, LOL

Or Glenn Miller, Roger Miller, Sean Miller, Dennis Miller,

Nice one Mr. Tabor, LOL

Thanks for all the wonderful and unexpected brand suggestions. I ended up with a KANAYAMA LLAMA #4560 HANGING RAZOR STROP WITH HANDLE

Thanks for all the wonderful and unexpected brand suggestions. I ended up with a KANAYAMA LLAMA #4560 HANGING RAZOR STROP WITH HANDLE

Sounds great ...I love the alliteration ...yama llama. I hear/read plenty of good about Kanayama so you should be very happy. Please keep us posted on how you like it and what, if any, differences you notice.

To be honest I'm a little sad that you didn't go with the Dennis Miller strop option.

Other than not needing to do x strokes, is there an additional benefit to 3" over 2.5"? I ask because Tony Miller only has flax as an option in 2.5 now.

Other than not needing to do x strokes, is there an additional benefit to 3" over 2.5"? I ask because Tony Miller only has flax as an option in 2.5 now.

Not really. I find that for the 2.5 the x stroke is so slight that it isn't an issue.

Back