The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Strop issues

Quijote

La Mancha's Best Shaver
Legacy
First Responder
I haven't used my strop in a few days, then walk into the bathroom and see this.
The little black spots are all over it. They are hard and shiny. It is also more stiff than it has been. And the cuts are more defined. The back also has some large black spots.

Does anybody have any suggestions? My first thought was the kids did something, but it is too uniform on the front. Now I am wondering if it is just drying out.

I thought I’d come in here and uphold you in this time of crisis, but I have no clue; but dang that looks bad!

THat is a little strange. The back definitely looks like something was haphazardly applied or maybe it was set on something.
The front looks pretty clean so it’s hard to say it’s contaminated. I have plenty of leather that has had a chance to dry out but they just don’t dry out that fast and none look that way.
I’m thinking an oil like olive or linseed (or any other hardening oil) was applied at some point.

I would get some saddle soap soap and wash it down. Let it dry a day then, if it’s dry or dusty you can start oiling it or rubbing it with your hand every day.

You can wet wet a rag with 70 or 91% isopropyl and rub that sucker down. Let it hang overnight and see what’s up. Alcohol can loosen and stretch leather but it’s unlikely to cause any warp or issue on your strop. I have actually done a run with alcohol with a little glycerin and neatsfoot oil...comes out nice.

Not an expert by any means but I have had good results from applying a tallow based lather (williams or Arko) and let it dry on and then wipe it off. It sort of cleans and moisturizes at the same time.

Back